SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Prop Repair

4/21/21 @ 5:38 PM
INITIAL POST
Esoxluv
User since 8/16/05

Any recommendations on Prop repair  - Madison/Portage/Baraboo area??

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/8/22 @ 8:42 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I have a similar prop, and have had it rebuilt a couple of times without issue. 

I’d take it back to where you had it rebuilt, should be a free hub repair. 

A new hub was installed, it shouldn’t slip…

4/8/22 @ 8:35 PM
Stormy_41
PRO MEMBER User since 10/17/21

I have an older 20hp merc '73 runs great for it's age. The prop has a pressed in rubber bushing. It was slipping under load. (anything above 1/2 throttle) I had it rebuilt. Took for a day trip and started slipping again. Question is how can i solve this? New props are not available. If I could drill a pin through the shaft I would.

Any experience or solutions would be great!

4/24/21 @ 4:18 PM
Esoxluv
User since 8/16/05

I found Mike's prop repair in Madison. My alum prop will cost $78 (two weeks) (100hp Yamaha). Brand new alum prop $158 on Amazon. So its about half of a new prop.

4/24/21 @ 4:12 PM
JDs Customs
User since 9/16/20

Not necessarily in your area, but the Prop Shop in Okauchee always has done a great job repairing little dings for me on Aluminum props.

JD

4/23/21 @ 7:22 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

In my experience, if it is aluminum, just buy a new one. Stainless CAN be worth repairing if it isn't damaged too bad (ie blade(s) missing, warped hub, etc.). I say don't bother repairing aluminum because it will generally be about 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of a new prop and most places send them out to be repaired, so you won't have it for a couple weeks to a couple months depending on the time of year and demand. I had a stainless prop repaired that I accidentally dropped on concrete and bent a blade (no chunks missing or anything, just slightly bent a blade)...cost was $125 and 4 weeks. I can justify that on a $350 prop. But spending $50-75 to repair an aluminum prop and not having it for a month or two seems silly to me when I can buy a new one for $100. Just my take on things...

Also...not all prop repair facilities are equal...anyone can weld in a piece of metal and recontour a blade, but to do the job very well, balance the prop, etc. takes time and specialized equipment, which costs money.

4/23/21 @ 3:42 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

I'm new to the prop repair game. I have 2 props that aren't bent. The fins have a good inch chunks taken out of them. Is this repairable or do I have to buy a new one?

4/23/21 @ 1:50 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Moe's in oshkosh

4/23/21 @ 11:00 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Most marinas / boat dealers offer prop repair. 

Over the years I’ve used a number of different places - prop always comes back looking new...

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE