MORE
Boats & Motors

Prepping for storage

9/10/22 @ 8:24 AM
INITIAL POST
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Now that we're getting into fall I start getting my boat a little bit closer to storage

Running the gas tank down as low as I can and running a little bit more seafoam

At this time of year I just fil the boat by the gas can

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts
11/5/22 @ 3:50 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

They will make it to spring - mine always do :)

11/5/22 @ 1:06 PM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Put mine in storage on Wednesday.  Put in 3 lavender jars.  They are supposed to last 60 days, but I think that is at indoor temperatures so I hope that they will until spring in an unheated barn.

10/30/22 @ 4:52 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Also helped my bud Gill 1774 get his boat in too. 

He had a good run this year. Now it’s time for his winter nap / hibernation in the recliner.  

See ya next year buddy - sleep well!

Prepping for storage photo by Plmlk
10/30/22 @ 4:50 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

So my good buddy Gill 1774 reminds me today that the boat launch closes for the season at the end of the day.

The mad dash begins! 

Took my boat to the launch to winterize, (have an etec - it fogs itself), Took out the lifevests, blanket for my wife, paper towel, basically anything a mouse can chew. Then I put five lavender canisters in different parts of the boat, and put the cover on. Also put some sea foam in the tank and filled it up before winterizing. 

Also put some steel wool in the prop, so no mice can get in there - and took it into storage.

It’s over for the glass boat for this year, but still have the 14 foot John boat and 15 horse Johnson for the Fox behind my house.

Fishing has been pretty good this Fall, and we’ve had a string of nice weather! 

Hope ya’ll had an awesome season!

10/23/22 @ 11:06 AM
wallybeav
wallybeav
User since 11/6/08

Thank You. That’s what I thought 

10/23/22 @ 8:52 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Looks like the up position.

The solenoid opens on start-up for a richer fuel mixture. After that it closes. 

So looks like you would manually open it for fogging. 

10/22/22 @ 2:43 PM
wallybeav
wallybeav
User since 11/6/08

My Evinrude 90 HP has the Primer solenoid to screw fogging oil to. The normal position for running motor on solenoid is down position. When I fog motor do I keep red lever in down position like it normally is when running motor. Or do I lift red lever up to fog it ? See pics below. It’s in normal position when I took pics. Thanks 

Prepping for storage photo by wallybeav
10/19/22 @ 9:39 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I should be out on the water Saturday

Right now I'm refilling my hubs with grease this is a new grease gun that I just got the plungers all the way down to the bottom so I'm going to go change and put in the cartridge in lo and beholders like two inches left of Grease

Too late to put it all back together I already popped the cap on the other cartridge

10/18/22 @ 10:02 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I think the same way Brent, we still have a month.

10/18/22 @ 7:26 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Wow, you boys are early!  

Don’t you at least have to wait until November?

10/13/22 @ 5:26 PM
Skihog
Skihog
User since 4/7/22

Tank full and tenders on...done!!

10/13/22 @ 10:09 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

In regards to how much fuel to leave in an inboard tank when storing the boat for the winter there are two things to consider. A full tank has little room for air to cause condensation. Some worry about having a full tank of old fuel to run through in the spring. With today’s fuel treatments like SeaFoam, Stabil and manufacturers branded products fuel can be treated and remain well usable for 6-12 months. I have a 2020 Mercury 25 hp four stroke on my jon boat and treat the fuel with SeaFoam before storing the boat. I also have a 1991 Mariner 40 hp two stroke I regularly use SeaFoam in and fog before storing. I then empty the remote tank into a can and start with fresh fuel the next year. The dumped fuel gets used in my ATV. I run mid grade alcohol free fuel in my outboards, ATV, chainsaw, string trimmer, leaf blower and ice auger.  Good quality mixing oil, alcohol free fuel and SeaFoam have prevented me from having fuel related issues for many years. 

10/13/22 @ 8:51 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

When storing your boat for the winter how much gas do you have in your inboard tank. I treat the gas but never sure about the amount to be left in the tank.

10/12/22 @ 1:28 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Crazy how it wasn't much more to have the Marine place winterize for me. Had pontoon on the trailer anyways. I suppose everything shop has is in bulk. Not worried about quality of service as known them for 30 years. 

10/10/22 @ 9:09 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

That's sounds very cheap. As far as storage we do our own on the pontoon boat which involves adding stabil or seafoam to the fuel make sure all water is drained and a lower unit oil change to make sure no water is making it's way In . And never had a issue. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE