SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

outboard surges

9/26/20 @ 6:14 PM
INITIAL POST
Brkissl82
User since 3/14/16

Ok guys i have a question. I just bought a john boat for duck hunting. It has an older johnson outboard. I took it out for a fishing trip to test it and it ran great. Now i took it out bow hunting and when i give it more throttle it will "rev" or surge really high but not go any faster. It runs fine when going slow throttle? Any ideas?

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
10/27/20 @ 7:57 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Any update?

9/26/20 @ 6:40 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

It sounds like the hub on your prop is spun, especially since the motor is running fine...

Your lower unit is a worm gear of sorts, it doesn’t slip, unless the lower unit is shot, and typically there is some noise associated with that...

The shaft coming out of your lower unit transfers power to your prop via the hub. Over time, the hub gets worn out, and the hub spins inside the propeller, and your RPMs go up, and you don’t go anywhere.

Motors that have a spun hub, operate normally under low speed / low torque conditions.

If I am a betting man, buy a new prop, and you’ll be good as new!

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE