MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Oil overfilling in a 4 stroke

7/11/19 @ 9:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Gethenet2me
Gethenet2me
USER since 6/8/13

I have a 3.5hp 4 stroke tohatsu outboard. 

I went to start it and oil came out of the carb. Only ran for a few seconds before turned it off.  Is the motor ruined? What should I do now to save it?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
7/12/19 @ 5:32 PM
Gethenet2me
Gethenet2me
USER since 6/8/13

That's awesome to hear. Never had a 4 stroke before and I didnt know

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 5:31 PM
Gethenet2me
Gethenet2me
USER since 6/8/13

Awesome news!????

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 4:12 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Oil cannot hurt ANY part of the motor.  Oil can be removed from just about anywhere.  As mentioned, cleaning the carb is all you need to do.  Any oil that spilled over into the valves or cylinders (if any) will burn off when starting it up once the carb is cleared.

Might need to crank a lot to get it started once the carb is clean.  But nothing is damaged.

Winterization involves putting oil directly into the cylinders (and valves).  In the spring, we all just crank a while to burn off the fogging oil and away we go.

Hell, cleaning the carb will probably make it run better than before the overfill.

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 10:44 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

I 2nd that. Y do u say save the motor? It should be fine. 

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 9:56 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

What needs to be saved? Drain the oil and refill to the proper level, clean the carb and use the motor.

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 3:15 AM
Gethenet2me
Gethenet2me
USER since 6/8/13

It's as the title says. It was over filled. Was not laid on its side. It had to much oil put in it. I have taken carb off, just need to know if there's anyway to save the motor

Post Your Comment
7/11/19 @ 8:45 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

My initial thought was it was laid down on the wrong side. If so it’s not ruined, stand it upright for a bit, check the oil, spray some carb cleaner and try starting it. It’ll probably be a little hard to get started at first. If it does start it may run a little rough and smoke for a bit. If it doesn’t start u may have to do a more thorough carb cleaning. Check the spark plugs and spray some carb cleaner in the plug holes as well. Good luck

Post Your Comment
7/11/19 @ 10:11 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Was the engine stored laying down? They usually indicate which side they need to be placed on with a stick and in the manual. 

Post Your Comment