SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

oil for motors

9/15/21 @ 3:05 PM
INITIAL POST
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

I have a 50 hp yamaha engine.  Is it necessary to use only there oil for the motor.

Thank you

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
9/17/21 @ 7:29 AM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

I have a 2 stroke Johnson that is 25 years old. Have used different oil brands without issue. As far as plugs, I do those every other year. I will take them out in the year that I don't change them and clean them up a bit. Again, no issues.

9/16/21 @ 7:19 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I just got my 1st 4 stoke outboard. A 5 horse Merc. It only uses 10 oz. so 3 changes to a qt. that is only `10 bucks. I kow one thing, I dont have to change it very often. It came out pretty clear after 50 hrs. .   I am still so cheap that I am going to look at Fleet Farm & Walmart and when I find it for even cheaper , I will buy some.  As for spark plugs, how often you guys change them? I have a1997  25 horse Merc.  I dont think I have changed those plugs 5 times. I have 94 hrs on my 5 horse . I bought an hour meter as soon as it was new. I wonder if I should change the plug for a whole  $2.57. It trolls for hours  without a hickup , but it seems to start hard sometimes  if I dont run it for 1/2 hr. or so. Needs choke.

9/16/21 @ 4:19 PM
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

Found the owner/s manual for correct oil for a Yamaha 4 stroke motor.  yamaha lube-4-m FC -W or 4stroke outboard motor oil. Thanks for the time and information.

Will be using the QuickSilver Marine lubricant, 4-stroke marine engine oil with a SAE 10W-30                                  '

9/16/21 @ 6:20 AM
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

Thanks for the informaton.  I have a 4 stroke Yamaha.    

9/15/21 @ 8:27 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I am assuming you have a two stroke that either requires you to mix the oil and gas or the motor has oil injection. If that is the case you should be able to use any name brand oil that meets or exceeds your motors requirements. I would shy away from off brand economy oils as they may not meet your motors requirements. Oil isn’t a place to try and save a buck, just like running ethanol fuel in your outboard to save a few dollars 

9/15/21 @ 3:24 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

Absolutely not required to use Yamaha brand oil. Call any marine mechanic, anywhere....ask the same question. Personally, I use Mercury Quicksilver brand oil - I buy it by the case when it's on sale at Menards.  Never had any issues, no matter what brand of engine.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE