SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

New Used Boat - First Thing to Check on Motor

2/20/18 @ 11:16 AM
INITIAL POST
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

I recently purchased a "new" used boat. It has a 2006 50HP Mercury motor on it. This is the first boat I have owned, so curious as to what I should check/change from a maintenance perspective to prepare for the 2018 season.

I appreciate the help provided as I am definitely a novice first timer here.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
2/21/18 @ 9:02 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I had a 2005 50 Merc. Basically the same as2006! Recommended maintenance! Adj. valve clearances,change fuel filters(2), inspect spark plugs and change if required! Putting ear muffs on will NOT tell if impeller is good water pressure from hose will push water thru anyway,best to do at pier and check for good stream from hole!From experience put on new ethanol safe fuel line had starting problems and fuel line fix took care of it! Merc factory service Manuel is great,very informative,and shows step by step instructions for all maintenance! Was a great motor for me for 8 years,but upgraded to an ETec in 2013 a LOT less maintaince!Also forgot oil change and filter! Grandad

2/21/18 @ 10:11 AM
BEARBOY
User since 6/17/01

you should also remove the prop and check any fishing line and check the gear case seals.

2/20/18 @ 1:29 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

Probably not a bad idea to take it to a mechanic and have it checked over and new lube, check plugs, carbs, impeller.  nothing worse then getting it out for the first time and having problems.

2/20/18 @ 1:06 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

Water pump as suggested. Also check the gearcase oil. It should be full and no water or milky color. Either of those are a sign of a leak.

If it is really black it should also be changed. 

That's the most common things that can cost you big $ if left unattended. 

2/20/18 @ 12:46 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

I would always make sure that the impeller (water pump) is pushing water.

You can buy the muffs that you can stick on your lower unit to make sure it's good, however, the person you bought the boat from should have done that to show you that it was pumping. It's not a big job to change it yourself if it's not working right. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE