SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

New motor Yamaha 70 hp vs 75 hp

8/3/20 @ 9:30 AM
INITIAL POST
connor
User since 9/17/01

I have a 2001 tracker pro deep v 16.5 Console with a 2001 mercury 2 stroke, boat max rated at 75 hp. I am thinking about replacing the motor with a Yamaha 70 or 75 four stroke.There is a considerable weight difference and price difference for that matter between the 70 and 75 hp Yamahas . Anyone care to weight in on pros or cons?  I’m leaning toward the 70 hp.

Boat would spend most of its time on a flowage 1400 acres lots of stumps etc so only occasional long WOT situations.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
8/6/20 @ 7:02 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Yami’s are awesome motors nif, you can’t go wrong! 

8/6/20 @ 11:38 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

if there was a 70 eTEC when I bought my boat, I would have got that instead, but the new ( I think 2nd year )  Yamaha 70fla maxed out my 2012 competitor 165 tiller and was lighter or comparable to available 2 strokes... it has been a very good choice for me

"YAMAHA’s newly released F70 four-stroke marks a further continuation in the evolution of light, powerful and fuel-efficient outboards. According to Yammie, the inline four cylinder F70 is an enhancement of the Japanese engine maker’s popular F60. It shares the same displacement (996cc) and is only marginally heavier (10kg) than the F60. But the F70 differs from the F60 via its a unique engine design. Unlike other 16 valve engines, the F70 operates via by a single, not dual, overhead camshaft. This gives it a weight advantage over its competitors in the 70-75hp class and also increases performance. "

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/fuel-miser-tested-yamaha-f70-four-stroke

...other 4strokes now are lighter yet ... but if given a chance at the time, I would have gone eTEC

8/5/20 @ 7:24 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I’m a bit puzzled how a 4-stroke weighs less than a same size 2-stroke, as that typically isn’t the case.

But it is what it is I suppose...

8/5/20 @ 6:56 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

if was the mercury 2 stroke 75hp-90hp 139kg  or 306 pounds  would be same as under tracker name mercury made them right

yam 70 4 stroke 253 lbs

my e-tech 90 is 320 lbs

8/5/20 @ 5:20 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I think a better question is what did his old motor weigh, and what would a new motor weigh, and what is the weight rating on his transom? 

8/5/20 @ 10:58 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Yes it's all motor is a 2 stroke he wants to replace it now with a 4-stroke plum

70 horse or a 75

I was just showing the weight differences of the two 4-stroke motors

8/5/20 @ 7:28 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

His old motor was a two-stroke BA not a four stroke

8/4/20 @ 9:45 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Mercury 75 four stroke

Specifications - 75

HP / kW75 / 56

Gearcase ratio2.07:1
Dry weight *Lightest model available359 lbs / 163 kg
CARB star rating3
Bore and stroke3.5 x 3.2" / 90 x 81 mm
8/4/20 @ 9:42 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Yamaha 70 4 stroke

MIDRANGE 70 hp

Our 1-liter 70-hp midrange features a two-piece upper case and 10 percent lighter pistons. It’s up to 80 pounds lighter than other four-stroke competitors and the class-leader in power-to-weight. Combined with its 16-valve SOHC design and 17 percent larger intakes, and it’s one of the most responsive outboards on the water.

• Available for mechanical remote or tiller control
  • Only 253 pounds
  • Available in a 20” shaft
  • Powerful 17-amp alternator
  • Optional Variable Trolling RPM Switch (VTS®) via the Multi-Function Tiller Handle, Command Link® tachometer or helm-mounted remote VTS
8/4/20 @ 8:41 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

I was in a similar situation with the   Skeeter  I had , there was  70hp  evinrude and was looking into repowering it with the Yamaha, that new 70 horse if I remember only weighs about 260 pounds , check the specs on your Merc and see if they weigh the same then you know which one to pick. If I remember the Yamaha was about the same weight as my 1984 Evinrude 70 hp 2 stroke . You really not gaining much on a 5 horse difference,  I would be more concerned about weight . 

8/4/20 @ 4:45 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

OK, crazy question here gentlemen, maybe I’m all wet...

A 20-year-old boat was likely designed for the weight of a two stroke.  

A four stroke can weigh quite a bit more...

As an example, my boat is a 2005, and it is rated for 150 hp motor, with a maximum weight of 475 pounds.  My two-stroke ETec weighs 415 pounds, and some of the newer four strokes weigh close to 500 pounds.

Not that I think the transom would cave-in or anything, it would be just fine, but I’m sure it would negate my insurance if I put a motor on the boat that exceeded the weight of the manufactures transom rating...

8/4/20 @ 9:58 AM
nihsif
nihsif

I would recommend the 70, but was thinking it might be worth looking into if you would also have to replace the controls... not an expert, but I think it is possible you'd have to get Yamaha controls... but that's from a true layman pov

again, that 70 is a sweet motor, imo

pic, first splash with son #3

8/4/20 @ 9:54 AM
nihsif
nihsif

I'm not a troller, but this motor does have the + and - buttons to slow down or speed up the rpm's in increments... not sure what the measure is, but I have used it when coming in to dock, slowed it down, works good imo... sorry couldn't help with trolling

8/3/20 @ 9:45 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Putting a new Yamaha on a 2001 boat would be a bad financial plan. If you decide to sell the boat, it will be almost impossible to get a fair return on your investment in the Yamaha.

With that being said, the 75 will give you more torque, but the 70 is a really nice motor and plenty for a 16 foot boat.

8/3/20 @ 2:03 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I'd go with the 70 no doubt.  As long as you stay above 85% of what your boat is rated for, you won't have performance issues.  As mentioned, due to weight difference, the 70 may actually perform better than the 75 in this instance.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE