MORE
Boats & Motors

New Deep Cycle Battery - AGM?

5/7/23 @ 3:18 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I need to replace my deep cycle battery for my 12v trolling motor. I use the motor for trolling by itself at 1 mph and in combination with a kicker at 2 mph (use the TM for steering). I've been reading up on the various types of batteries and it sounds like AGM last longer but cost more. I don't usually fish more than a few hours at a time. Is the AGM overkill? I'm I better off with the $120 Fleet Farm Group 27 lead acid? Looking for input. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
6/6/23 @ 2:52 PM
Moon River
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/22
Update. Just returned home from Costco with 2 --Group 27 Deep cycle -- $90 / ea! Time will tell if it was a wise choice!
5/29/23 @ 8:01 PM
Moon River
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/22
Returned from Cabin opening in Canada with batteries not lasting as long as last year. (24 volt troller - Terrova -- before that Power drive 24 volt) Couldn't believe my batteries (lead acid) Exide were from 2012. Will replace before heading back north in 2 weeks. Will be lead acid. 2 factors -- 71 yrs old and cost before jumping to Lithium and replace charger.
5/24/23 @ 9:47 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
I run AGM,  they have served me well.  It all depends what you use them for.  If you intend on trolling with your bow mount,  I would get a lithium. 
5/23/23 @ 3:14 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Lead acid batteries are the 8-track tape players of batteries. In other words, they're crap compare to the newer batteries. One of the worst things for a lead battery is vibration. Any time your boat is moving, in the water or on the trailer, those batts are vibrating. You can't tip them over without a bunch of problems happening either, Vibration means nothing to a lithium and they can be used upside down or on their sides without problems.

5/22/23 @ 3:16 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
It was time to replace the battery that powers the MinKota 12 volt 55 lb thrust motor on my 16-1/2’ vee hull. I’ve been using the Fleet Farm group 27 deep cycle since I got the boat in 1991. Usually get 4-5 years with proper maintenance. Went to Fleet and they were out of stock on that $114.99 battery. So I got the Interstate group 27 deep cycle that was $129.99 on sale for $119.99. We will see how it performs and it durability. 
New Deep Cycle Battery - AGM? photo by eyesman
5/20/23 @ 11:03 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10
AGM batteries are more forgiving when doing deeper discharges.You do want a charger that is optimized for those.I would avoid Optima,not what they used to be.Odyssey or X2 are the king of AGMs,pricey and heavy. 
5/12/23 @ 7:46 PM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07
Always had great luck with interstate. Hold a good charge and last long
5/12/23 @ 8:14 AM
Esox JJ
PRO MEMBER User since 6/4/05
I just so happened to go to the Chicagoland muskies meeting Tuesday night.One of the speakers was Don from Battery service corporation out of Bensenville, Illinois. He went into great detail on the various options. Lead acid, AGM, and Lithium. If you call him he will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
I'm not sure if I can post his number here or not. I can Private message you if you want or you could look it up on the net.
5/11/23 @ 6:18 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Get a lithium battery. Saves you money in the long run. Half the weight. Twice the performance.

5/11/23 @ 8:51 AM
bs4u00
User since 6/8/05
I agree with SuspendedMusky.  I went the AGM route about 8-10 years ago after doing lots of research.  I was doing a lot of trolling so I could tell when the AGM was losing life.  I got 4 years out of the AGM and that was it.  I could've gotten another 1-2 years if I was ok with getting less trolling time each time out fishing.  
So I went back to the bigger deep cycle lead acid.  With heavy use, I get about the same life out of them.  Much larger cost for the AGM and the same life.  
Now, the only thing I don't know is if they made improvements in AGM since then.  That's tough to know without doing the whole test over again, or talking to someone who has.  If that is not the case, save the extra $ and get lead acid batteries.  The money you save can be used to replace more often or buy a second battery.
5/7/23 @ 4:12 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Personally for the money you would save and the limited use you put on your single 12v battery, I would stick with the $120 FF group 27 deep cycle.  When I was running my 12v Power Drive for musky fishing, my lead acid battery would last a couple days between charging.  I would get up to 7 years out of it before I had to replace it.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE