MORE
Boats & Motors

New boat suggestions

9/26/21 @ 3:32 PM
INITIAL POST
Joe D
Joe D
PRO MEMBER User since 3/21/05

I am looking for a new boat. I am wanting 18’ tiller. Looking at the obvious ones, Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft. Opinions on those? Any others I should consider? I am 64 so this will most likely be my last boat.

Fishing will be all inland lakes up north.

Thanks in advance

Displaying 21 to 30 of 35 posts
9/28/21 @ 6:38 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

It all depends where and how you fish. I will always own all welded aluminum boats to glass just seems to delicate for my type of fishing rivers and small lakes under 1000 acres.Plus if you hit a stump or something I feel more comfortable in aluminium and I beach mine when I have to I think glass wouldn't last but like I said depends on where and how you fish. 

9/28/21 @ 5:37 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

If its used on smaller northern lakes which sometimes has iffy shallow launches , I would go tin.  Wind is less a issue on small lakes and if its that windy, don't go.  

9/27/21 @ 8:47 PM
TBoldt
User since 10/13/04

http://www.backtroller.com/crucial-cc.html

9/27/21 @ 7:07 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14

I had aluminum for years, now that I’ve had the glass I won’t be able to go back. 

9/27/21 @ 6:01 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

yea yea we know fiberglass performs better than aluminum but in 40 years that fiberglass will be slowly decaying into toxic dust while the aluminum will be recycled into another useful boat.  You outdoor minded folks need to think ahead.

9/27/21 @ 3:14 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

After owning several tiller boats over the years, I would recommend a Yarcraft 1785BT with a Yamaha tiller. The boats are manufactured by BassCat in  Mountain Home Arkansas. Their reputation for quality and service for many years has been indisputable.

I totally agree with Vegas pertaining to aluminum versus glass. Aluminum boats are hard to control in the wind, where a glass boat will hold on the spot, or track much better.

I do however disagree on the Tuffy boats due to the history of financial challenges over the years. I did own two Esox Magnums which I enjoyed, but they were not of the same build quality of any boat coming out of the BassCat factory. I also owned three Ranger 680|681 Fishermen models that were great. Good luck with your boat search.

9/27/21 @ 2:52 PM
bob66
User since 3/6/12

I had tillers for 40 years and all were aluminum boats until 4 years ago when I got talked into going to a fiberglass boat.  I cannot see myself going back to aluminum.  Boat control is better, the ride smoother, and a lot, a lot, drier ride.  I have a Ranger 618t.  It's a nice boat but my was the last year that Ranger made tiller boats.   If I wanted a brand new one, I'd be looking at Warrior, Recon, and Skeeter.

9/27/21 @ 9:22 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Tuffy has a very nice setup for an 18 foot tiller.  Wind won't move a glass boat like it does aluminum.  

I'm just not a fan of the metal boats.  Wind really moves them on the water.  Glass is a smoother boat ride, too.

9/26/21 @ 10:21 PM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11

Starcraft makes a nice 18 foot tiller. The Boat Center in Chip Falls sells them with Yamaha's on them.

9/26/21 @ 7:42 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

Alumacraft 185 Competitor, 90 HP tiller. If you fish muskies best rod storage in class with two boxes and up to 8' rods. Best electronics storage. The depth finder simply lift out of storage locker and they are at your finger tips. Better seating, 3 storage lockers, center rod locker plus baitwell on bow deck, extra storage and built in cooler port. Rod locker starboard, Storage and bait well aft. Rear deck is big enough to fish from. Also two drawers in dash. Best in class trailer, Boat drives on drive and centers well. Also has built in ladder on the trailer. Drotto Latch also works well on this rig.

Roughly same price point as Crestliner cheaper than Lund

I shopped this to death last year and very pleased with the rig. 37 mph solo at 5900 rpm - 33 mph with 3 on board with full tank. Northern WI, Green Bay, Miss River, Lake Pepin no problems. I do pay attention to the weather on GB

BTW, I'm 70 

Good Luck 

Displaying 21 to 30 of 35 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE