Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New boat suggestions

9/26/21 @ 3:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Joe D
USER SINCE 3/21/05

I am looking for a new boat. I am wanting 18’ tiller. Looking at the obvious ones, Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft. Opinions on those? Any others I should consider? I am 64 so this will most likely be my last boat.

Fishing will be all inland lakes up north.

Thanks in advance

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/29/21 @ 7:28 PM
huntfishcrappie
USER SINCE 2/23/16

StarCraft.. I have one 22 years.. mine is a dual council but it has been used and loved used on lake Michigan to the castle rock now... Semi retirement for her... I tell my boys if she ever sinks I will be going down with her.. I vote StarCraft... Love that boat..

9/29/21 @ 4:25 PM
MightyHunter
USER SINCE 3/25/06

Look at a starcraft delta 188 T. Big and laid out well

9/29/21 @ 4:04 PM
Joe D
USER SINCE 3/21/05

Thanks for all of the helpful information. Very much appreciated 

9/29/21 @ 10:07 AM
Jim Stroede Guide Service
Jim Stroede
USER SINCE 1/8/15

I've had tillers all my life, lund, skeeter, tuffy, ranger.  Very much enjoy the smoothness of glass over al.  The industry seems to be moving away from tiller boats, especially in the glass boats, al builders still offer tillers in good numbers. I've never seem one up close, but the backtroller brand seems to be well made looking and might be worth a look along with the more well know boat builders.  Good luck!

9/28/21 @ 11:19 AM
Quester
USER SINCE 1/28/07

Crestliner     Pro Tiller.

9/28/21 @ 8:27 AM
Graceonpoint
USER SINCE 10/24/17

I figured this would turn into a glass vs al debate.  The next debate is riveted vs welded.    .  I have fished out of the Lund Pro Guide that's great fishing setup.  

9/28/21 @ 7:45 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER SINCE 1/12/14

Your right there. Aluminum takes the beating better. Glass can be a little delicate. 

9/28/21 @ 7:12 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

I agree,  I would do aluminum as well.  I know several people the went from glass and big water to moving up north to smaller lakes and went back to aluminum.  Glass doesn't like shallow launches and being beached.  go with a roller trailer and you can launch anywhere.

9/28/21 @ 6:38 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
USER SINCE 3/23/20

It all depends where and how you fish. I will always own all welded aluminum boats to glass just seems to delicate for my type of fishing rivers and small lakes under 1000 acres.Plus if you hit a stump or something I feel more comfortable in aluminium and I beach mine when I have to I think glass wouldn't last but like I said depends on where and how you fish. 

9/28/21 @ 5:37 AM
Edge
USER SINCE 2/28/07

If its used on smaller northern lakes which sometimes has iffy shallow launches , I would go tin.  Wind is less a issue on small lakes and if its that windy, don't go.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.