MORE
Boats & Motors

Need help picking out new outboard

9/11/20 @ 10:17 AM
INITIAL POST
CLINCHKNOT
User since 10/9/03

Greetings:

I have a 31 year old Johnson outboard (pull start) that runs great!  Problem is I am getting older and  my bad right shoulder is not happy when I pull the cord.  Time for electric start.

With Evinrude gone, what to get?  I am thinking of a 20 horse Mercury, Yamaha or suzuki.  I rented a 20 horse Yamaha while on vacation this summer (tiller model, electric start) and fell in love with it.  

My issue is I see almost no Yamaha dealers in SE Wisconson.  Same for Suzuki.  Where would I go when I need it repaired or need some simple part that I can replace.  No motor works forever so I assume some day I need it repaired.

LOTS of mercury dealers around here so perhaps mercury is the best bet.  Can anyone comment that owns a 4 stroke mercury, Yamaha or Suzuki in a 20 or 25 horse?  Just wondering what others have experienced before I decide what brand to buy.

Displaying 31 to 42 of 42 posts
9/12/20 @ 5:54 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I have a Mercury on my boat just because that’s what was on it when I bought it, it starts and runs great but if I had to choose I’d go with Yamaha for sure. It was already mentioned but Jalensky’s in Kenosha is a Yamaha dealer. 

9/12/20 @ 3:52 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

I've had both 2-stroke and 4-stroke Yamaha's and now run 4-stroke Merc on current boat. IMHO you'd probably be satisfied by either brand. You'll also be impressed by how quiet the 4-strokes are compared to older 2-stroke. I suggest you purchase a motor as close to the rated HP of your boat. There are numerous dealers in S/E WI to chose from. Good luck!

9/12/20 @ 2:07 PM
waterbugg
User since 6/13/09

Get the 25hp instead fo a 20hp. The 5 extra hp can make a big difference getting your boat up on plane if its loaded down. 

9/12/20 @ 9:17 AM
fischkopf
User since 3/3/11

I have a 2019 20HP Mercury that I love so far.  My 16 foot semi-v john boat does 25 MPH with it.  It is a manual start.  My fishing buddy has a new 30HP Mercury electric start and trim that is a very nice motor.  Both motors have been trouble free so far. Run quiet and smooth.  I know that they are made overseas (Japan), but quality has been impressive so far. Dealers and service centers are everywhere.

9/11/20 @ 11:30 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I repowered my jon boat with a 2020. 25 hp Mercury this spring with electric start. It does have the pull start feature also, it is a hard pull to try and start it considering it’s a 3 cylinder. Having had shoulder replacement surgery three years ago doesn’t help that pull start effort either. 

9/11/20 @ 10:54 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Jalensky’s in Kenosha sells Yamaha. There is also a Yamaha dealer on highway 16 near Oconomowoc.

9/11/20 @ 10:12 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

Not sure if this is still the case. Some of the outboards have electric start and pull start. Some may not have the backup pull start. I think my Dads older Yamaha 20 hp did not have pull start. So if your electronics or whatever suck your battery down. So you would have to try the wrap rope around flywheel to try to start it. 

9/11/20 @ 5:46 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I currently have an E Tec on our fishing boat, and a Yami on our pontoon.

They are both phenomenal motors. I liked the ETec  a little better, as it was lighter than the same horsepower of other brands.

However, from a reliability  standpoint, they are both top-notch. 

Now that Evinrude will no longer be made, Yamaha is an awesome choice.

When I have to re-power, it will definitely be a Yamaha - bullet proof motors. 

9/11/20 @ 4:44 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Jerry;s boats in Beloit is a Yamaha dealer ..  I have bought several Yamaha's from him. there is also a Yamaha dealer in Milwaukee off 1st street it's mainly a sailboat place but they also have outboards.. 

Jerry's Sport Service

3100 Riverside Dr. #B
Beloit, WI 53511

608-365-4520

608-365-6661 - fax

www.jerrysboats.com

Jimmy

9/11/20 @ 12:09 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I know I have seen it in other places.....but aren't all <40 hp motors made by Tohatsu and ??

9/11/20 @ 12:08 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Yamaha for sure , no disrespect to the others , Yamaha . There are a couple of dealers around southeast side , Mack's Motors is a Suzuki dealer. And Merc , well is just about everywhere . I finally own a Yamaha myself and wont run anything else 

Displaying 31 to 42 of 42 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE