LOGIN
Lake-Link

Need help picking out new outboard

9/11/20 @ 9:17 AM
ORIGINAL POST
CLINCHKNOT
USER SINCE 10/9/03

Greetings:

I have a 31 year old Johnson outboard (pull start) that runs great!  Problem is I am getting older and  my bad right shoulder is not happy when I pull the cord.  Time for electric start.

With Evinrude gone, what to get?  I am thinking of a 20 horse Mercury, Yamaha or suzuki.  I rented a 20 horse Yamaha while on vacation this summer (tiller model, electric start) and fell in love with it.  

My issue is I see almost no Yamaha dealers in SE Wisconson.  Same for Suzuki.  Where would I go when I need it repaired or need some simple part that I can replace.  No motor works forever so I assume some day I need it repaired.

LOTS of mercury dealers around here so perhaps mercury is the best bet.  Can anyone comment that owns a 4 stroke mercury, Yamaha or Suzuki in a 20 or 25 horse?  Just wondering what others have experienced before I decide what brand to buy.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 35 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

2/12/21 @ 10:43 AM
BassMazz
USER SINCE 2/1/18

I have sold and serviced both brands, But am a bit more fond of the Yamaha in that HP class. Mostly because the smaller Mercs are Tohatsu powerheads and I am not impressed with too many China products. 

Yamaha has several dealers in the Madison area with Don's Marine in Lodi as a full line dealer and Quam's in Stoughton, Rock River Marine in Newville, and several more. Some are full-line and some are package and service dealers meaning they can only sell a motor with a boat and offer service to Yamaha customers. Also, JNT's marine Pros in Whitewater is a full line platinum Yamaha dealer with several Yamaha's currently in stock, Give Jason a call at 262-473-5960 if interested 

2/10/21 @ 12:13 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
USER SINCE 3/14/06

Jalenskys  in Kenosha is a recommended Yamaha dealer/service!

2/3/21 @ 4:17 PM
Symmetre
USER SINCE 5/11/20

Mercury 30hp and smaller are all made in Japan (not China) by Tohatsu. If you have mostly Merc dealers in your area, then good, because you'll never have an issue finding parts. Just buy one and be happy, they're top quality engines.

1/22/21 @ 12:25 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER SINCE 5/21/03

Merc owner here.

Has anyone ever had a need to take a Yamaha back to a dealer for service?

Seems to me like they are pretty bulletproof.

1/21/21 @ 8:46 PM
haf2fsh
MEMBER SINCE 6/23/01

Honestly there all good, the dealer makes the difference. I've been loyal the the same place for 30 years. They take care of me, although for the most part my Mercury's have been trouble free. Just repowered last year. Swapped a 2003 for 2020 60 4 stroke, wasn't really anything wrong with old one just had many hours on it.  Have friends with Yammies, Honda, and E-tech all great motors. 

1/21/21 @ 7:56 PM
gobbler
MEMBER SINCE 6/30/01

Yamaha  Moon Marine, fondulac, reccomend.

1/21/21 @ 5:22 PM
mattw
mattw
USER SINCE 5/6/16

Kettle Marine in Jackson services them all, Cedar Lake Sales is Mercury .

1/21/21 @ 4:38 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER SINCE 9/27/01

Every boat that I've owned has been Mercury powered except one which was a Johnson VRO. I'm pretty loyal to Merc because some of their stuff is made locally. With that said, I used a camp boat at Andy Myer's Lodge the first time I went to Canada. It was powered with a Yammy 60 hp tiller 4-stroke with power tilt/trim and electric start. My dad and I were so impressed with it that my dad chose a 60 hp Yammy when he bought his new pontoon a year later. Still loves it to this day. Nothing against Merc, but Yammy makes a solid motor. 

1/21/21 @ 1:25 PM
fishhook
fishhook
USER SINCE 9/16/01

Repowering my 2006 Alumacraft Dominator with another Yamaha 4 stroke.

A new Yamaha SHO VMAX 4 stroke.

Perfect way into spring fishing of 2021!

10/30/20 @ 9:52 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

You should probably just get one of these as this seems to be the trend lately lol

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 35 POSTS
Advertise here
ICx Ice Rods from Okuma feature a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. Orange colored rod tip for improved bite visibility and are backed by a limited 1-year warranty. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - ICx Ice Rods
St. Croix's all-new series of technique-specific rods features extreme performance blanks and materials specific to each model. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Croix Custom Ice series
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.