MORE
Boats & Motors

Minnkota fortrex 80lb thrust mounting

2/7/22 @ 10:04 PM
INITIAL POST
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I recently purchased a used minnkota fortrex 24v bowmount trolling motor and with the 45 Inch shift and plan on installing it on a 18 ft monark fish and ski and am just looking for any suggestions on installing it as I've never installed one myself and just wondering what it all entails etc thanks for any help and suggestions 

Minnkota fortrex 80lb thrust mounting photo by Fv.screaming drags.com
Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts
2/24/22 @ 8:11 AM
fishs
User since 2/17/04

That is a stabilizing bar for when the motor is in the stowed position. There should be a rubber boot on the bottom so you don't rub a whole in your carpet. It is adjustable.

2/24/22 @ 7:42 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Thanks fishs I fish mostly backwaters and lakes that don't have a ton of traffic most of the time so I'm thinking I should be ok. Can anyone tell me what the silver handle in rhe picture is for thanks good fishing everyone!

2/23/22 @ 6:17 PM
fishs
User since 2/17/04

Looks like you did fine.  Might bounce out of the water when a big wake goes by but hey, my 60 inch shaft does that. Good job!!!

2/20/22 @ 8:19 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Here's a few pictures from a dry fit in the garage but appears to be below the water line enough but won't know until it's all Mounted and on the lake but looks good so far lol 

2/13/22 @ 5:20 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Here's a couple better pictures of the boat I plan on installing it on 

2/9/22 @ 8:49 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Thanks everyone for your help and info it was a extremely good deal at 80 dollars and has upgraded jaws handle and cable for raising and lowering a d all works so I figured if it doesn't work out I can always sell it and get  something else that will work I'll do so.e measuring and post a couple pics when I get home from the cottage Thanks again everyone good fishing!

2/9/22 @ 9:49 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Make sure that when its up and stored, that the head of the motor doesn't hang over the side of the boat.  That can mess up a cover, but also will hit against a dock.

I know its probably obvious, but check for wires, before you drill   .

I first slid on my bracket to the motor and then dry fit it in the stored position.  Once I had it where I wanted it, I framed the bracket with masking tape.  Then I put it in the deployed position to make sure it fit well that way as well, adjusted as needed.  The tape makes it easy then to slide off your bracket and know exactly where it needs to go without the motor attached.

2/9/22 @ 8:12 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Mounting the motor just make sure it will not be in the way of any other equipment and that it will deploy and stow without interference.  Next is making sure you have sufficient wiring/gauge and batteries wired in series. 

The comment was made already but based on the one boat picture, 45in shaft may work in dead flat water for you.  I can't see the bow of the boat but if I was to guess you are going to be plagued with your motor coming out of the water in even a mild chop on an 18ft boat.  I would think minimum you need something in the 52 - 60in range.

Maybe you have that all figured and good to go, but based on what little you provided I did not even know they made anything shorter than 48in, unless is for low profile bass boats.  I can see the Fortex does come in a 45in model assuming for those types of boats.

good luck

2/8/22 @ 12:19 PM
karl58
User since 7/27/13

I too would worry about being to short when it gets choppy out, 

But its not hard, 4 bolts to go thrpugh deck and  i would recomend going to bestboatwire.com you can get all ur wiring pre made and crimped at custom lenghts, makes thing simple and neat for good price. 

2/8/22 @ 11:48 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I think a 45inch shaft is going to be two short on a boat like that.

2/7/22 @ 11:18 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Sorry deer picture isn't mine never seen it before and wasn't the picture that I posted 

Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE