MORE
Boats & Motors

Minnkota fortrex 80lb thrust mounting

2/7/22 @ 10:04 PM
INITIAL POST
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I recently purchased a used minnkota fortrex 24v bowmount trolling motor and with the 45 Inch shift and plan on installing it on a 18 ft monark fish and ski and am just looking for any suggestions on installing it as I've never installed one myself and just wondering what it all entails etc thanks for any help and suggestions 

Minnkota fortrex 80lb thrust mounting photo by Fv.screaming drags.com
Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
5/28/22 @ 4:01 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Yup just plug it in for about 10 years I carried a 60-70 lb trolling motor battery to  charge in cabin every night then back to the boat in the morning total PIA. Then about 5 years ago I got a 2 bank on board charger what a relief just plug it in to the pier or in your garage and your good in the morning. As far as installation it's real easy. 

5/28/22 @ 11:20 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

No,all I do is plug it in and its good, two or three bank is the only way to go.

5/28/22 @ 10:56 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

If I purchase a two bank on board charger and install it on my boat do I still have to disconnect all the wires to charge the batteries or does that somehow bypass having to disconnect the wires. It's a 24 volt trolling motor and know you have to disconnect all the wires to charge the batteries but not sure if that's the case with a two bank charger? Thanks for any suggestions I'm not really good with electric lol

5/26/22 @ 5:33 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

the breaker is also a shut off switch so I just kill the power and charge one battery at a time. For now until I get a two bank charger 

5/25/22 @ 11:50 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Looking good... I did the same thing... Power drive 24 volt 70lbs 60 inch shaft...I went will 8gauge wire and 50 amp fuse..love it on my 18 foot StarCraft smf..just remember disconnect all wires for charging unless you have a 24 charger.. I have 2 12 volt charger.. good luck be safe on the big pond keep them tight and watch out for wing dams on the Miss.. Wash Tub over and out.. Semi retired and the castle rock..

5/25/22 @ 11:52 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Finally got the boat upnorth and on the water and the trolling motor works great. Plenty far enough below the water line that it doesn't blow out which I'm sure it will in big waves or wake.  But I don't fish in them conditions usually unless on lake Michigan but then I don't use it anyway. I mostly fish inland lakes and Mississippi backwaters. So I'm very happy with it so far and  yes everything is properly wired in series with proper gauge wires and 50 amp trolling motor breaker. Thanks again everyone who responded appreciate it!

5/4/22 @ 10:24 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Got it all Mounted and wired up just gotta go fishing and try it hopefully it works good for my boat! Thanks to everyone who responded for their help!

4/5/22 @ 1:30 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Thank you for the info appreciated 

4/5/22 @ 6:22 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

This is what you have described and is correct.

Minnkota fortrex 80lb thrust mounting photo by Guidedfishing
4/4/22 @ 4:27 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Go on minnkotas website they will have a wiring diagram for you also

4/4/22 @ 3:26 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Thanks for the info appreciated so basically basically the trolling motor connections make the other jump from one battery to the other to complete thee 24 volt connection 

4/4/22 @ 12:09 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

That is correct, otherwise you will only get 12 volts if you go just from one battery.   It is perfectly fine to charge each battery as individuals.  So 12 volt charge to each positive and negative pole of each battery.

Good luck   you should be able to confirm everything with a volt-ohm meter.

4/4/22 @ 11:34 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Quick question I got the motor mounted on the boat and now it's time to wire up the batteries and I know about going from the positive on one battery to the negative on the other one. My question is do I hook the trolling motor into the batteries the same way by going from the positive side on one battery to the negative on the other battery? Thanks for any help or advice or info in advance 

2/24/22 @ 3:38 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I just mounted it with a c clamp so I could adjust where it needs to be deploys and stows without hitting the anchor mate. There's some aluminum cross braces under the deck that I plan to reinforce with a piece if plywood or a aluminum plate. Thanks for the info guys appreciated 

2/24/22 @ 10:04 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Did you put something under deck to reinforce, that anchor mate will make it hard to get in. The decks on most boats are just thin and unless you put a peace of plywood it will crack. need to get into rail around outside. The long shaft puts a lot of force at high power!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE