Boats & Motors

Minn Kota Terrova - Lower Unit

6/3/20 @ 3:23 PM
INITIAL POST
kyahkyah
kyahkyah
User since 4/17/15

Little help,please.    

A gasket failed on my lower unit last winter, it filled with water and then quit working.  I have since rebuilt the unit and it worked fine, except for the I -Pilot.  I realized then that is was the wrong brush assembly board and replaced with the correct one. It then worked great, but notice some water again coming out the head when stowed.  When I opened it up, not only was it filled with water, but it was filled with silver liquid that looked like mercury.  No idea what would cause that.  I don't think I tightened the bolts enough and that is how the water got in, but I can't explain the silver metallic liquid.  Any ideas?  

Thanks,

Kyle

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
6/12/20 @ 1:05 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I hate to say this, but recently heard that this is a common problem with the newer Minn Kota's?

6/11/20 @ 12:25 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I'm not sure where you are located, but if the call directly to Minn Kota doesn't help you, here is a guy you can call...

Tim at Brew City Trolling Motors 414 852 9550.

He is independent, but an authorized service person for Minn Kota and Humminbird.  And he comes to your place to do the work.

I've used him before and he's great.  Totally worth a call to discuss what is going on.

6/11/20 @ 11:12 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Kyle, Two yrs ago, while on LOTW in Ontario, the lower unit of my Terrova was slammed into an underwater rock formation causing internal damage. The only "authorized service center" in my area wanted almost $1000 to repair it. I called customer service at Minn Kota (1-800-227-6433). They were extremely helpful. They diagnosed the problem and made suggestions. I ordered the repair kit directly from the factory, about $400. They shipped it quickly. Took me about 20min to make the repair which was basically remove and replace the lower unit and shaft then swap the head unit onto the new assembly. The lower unit and shaft are sealed with a proprietary chemical weld process. If any of the seal is compromised, you get water intrusion into the electric motor which leads to its demise. I'd give the Minn Kota team a call.

Good luck

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE