SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Minn Kota or MotorGuide ??

12/3/20 @ 9:10 PM
INITIAL POST
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

I have been to the factory authorized Minn Kota repair shop...  after that visit... I am open to buying anything  but  Minn Kota...

Dose anyone know how good or bad are the Motor Guide trolling motors ?  Where are the made ? 

I'm shopping for a stupid simple bow mount,  with cable operated foot control,  in the 55lb thrust range. 

So far I have it down to the Minn Kota Maxxum Max 55.  and the   MotorGuide X3 Digital

Please share your thoughts, good or bad. 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/5/20 @ 3:36 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20

I've had both, and they both have their issues. Minn Kota is probably a bit better than a Motorguide, but they're both pretty close to be honest.

12/4/20 @ 1:31 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Not much to wrong with cable steer motors.  You question is confusing, you said you've been to MinnKota repair center and you'll buy anything but MinnKota, but then you turn around and say you've narrowed your choice down to MinnKota or MotorGuide.

12/4/20 @ 12:24 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Kinda sounds like to me that you should be checking want ads , craigslist,  and buy a used motor. I have ran three motors myself , Byrd Industries,  Motor Guide and now Minne kota , if all you want is a simple cable steer, look for used , i have had cable steer in both my boats and will say this , the MinneKota does go through weeds better than the MotorGuide I had on my old boat,  i have had just 12v and now 24 volt and would agree 24 volt works better and lasts longer . You can go new or used , i would be looking used if you just want something that works and nothing else . 

12/4/20 @ 9:50 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I’ve always been a Minn Kota guy. I’ve had both Power Drives and cable drives with no mechanical issues despite heavy use. 

I have experience running a Motor Guide on a buddy’s Lund. I can’t recall the exact model, but it’s basically Motor Guide’s equivalent of the Power Drive. It’s a piece of garbage. I can’t fathom how a trolling motor so expensive can be so unresponsive and cumbersome to use. 

My advice is to stick with Minn Kota. 

12/4/20 @ 9:07 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I have owned the Maxxum 55#. I never had a problem with it. My brother still has one that he’s had for about eight years. He has had zero problems. The Minnkota trolling motors go through weeds much better. I would never own a Motor Guide again.

12/4/20 @ 7:15 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Minn kota trolling motors easily the best they have the technology way ahead of motorguide then motorguide basically copies Minn kota.  I have a 7 year old 55 terrova with i pilot with zero problems. I pilot what game changer and forget the footpedal remote is way easier you don't have to constantly sit in the front to operate. I have had Min n kota trolling motors my whole life. As for customer service their phone line help of you have questions about install very hel pful I've never been to the headquarters so can't comment on that but for repairs i just go to a authorized factory repair guy in West allis he is on the minn kota website for places to go he works out of his house and fixes it while you wait great service. Motor guide where good like 30 years ago when all the trolling motors where the same design. But now almost everyone I know of see fishing has a Min n kota on there boat. But I get some guys are brand specific.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE