SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Minn Kota Foot Switch

8/4/19 @ 5:52 AM
INITIAL POST
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

I have a Minn Kota Power Drive V2, twice in the last week, the power to the prop isn't quite right, the switch will rotate the motor left and right, but won't turn the prop, you can hear something clicking, but nothing happens, after playing around with it, then moving the speed control for the prop, it will start working again. Foot switch going bad ??? 

I just replaced that unit two years ago.

Any ideas ?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
8/23/19 @ 5:29 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

I have a V2 with auto pilot and US2. I converted it to I-pilot. It was tough at 1st getting use to pauses in casting to steer, but I'm  glad I did it. I still have my foot control in the garage. I've offered my auto pilot to friends and family, but they seem to like the head not pointing in the direction of travel. Lol All foot control issues started after I switched. I think keeping it dry matters also. I always stored mine in the bow compartment and not left out in the elements unless fishing... Get home and turn it upside down if it was raining.

8/23/19 @ 1:10 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have a Minn Kota power drive with a foot control. The foot control started acting up. It would not run at all in the continuous run setting and was sporadic in the momentary run setting. I took it apart and cleaned the contact strip which only helped a little. On the rocker switch for the continuous/momentary setting there is a white plastic bar that puts pressure on the contact to go between settings. The rocker arm has a cam that depresses that bar. After use the cam get worn down and doesn’t put enough pressure on the contact. I removed the bar and made a cardboard shim to put under the end of the bar that is screwed to the base. Had to experiment with the number of plies of cardboard to make it work. Used cereal box cardboard for the shim. So far so good. 

8/22/19 @ 3:04 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

I found a fix that I found online where the magnet that runs over the speed control rheostat, would not work all the time since the rheostat was dirty. Took a Q tip like the guy said, and just used water to clean the rheostat strip, it was filthy, and put everything back together and I haven't had an issue so far. We will see what happens in the long run. Simple 5 minute fix if it works now.

8/4/19 @ 9:59 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

Gimper is right, they do suck..my foot control quit after two years also. I went with the remote hand held (just plugs right into the system) 10 years ago and haven't had a problem since then...you can run the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat.

8/4/19 @ 6:39 AM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

Power Drive foot controllers suck. You're lucky you got two years out of it. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE