Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Mice

10/30/19 @ 7:48 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Now that I put my rig in the garage Ive been thinking about the mouse urine problem.  Are there any thoughts about swabbing some cotton with Fox urine and putting it in a couple of the boats storage areas?        CARPIO 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 50 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/30/19 @ 6:56 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Mothballs.

My boat has smelled of mothballs for 10 years now.  Now when I smell mothballs, I start drooling to go fishing.

10/30/19 @ 6:24 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I'll also vote for the mothballs.  I had my uncles old Mustang sitting at my farm for years . Interior was in fantastic shape . A few mothballs kept it perfect until he picked it up . 

Bounce in the drawers inside the house was just mouse toilet paper. 

10/30/19 @ 6:18 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Between my camper, cabins up north, boats, and snowmobiles, I've tried lots of different things over the years. 

Dryer sheets have to be replaced monthly (possibly more.)  One year the mice made a nest out of dryer sheets in my Bimini Top. 

Moth balls work, but they leave your boat smelling like, well moth balls...  It's a nasty smell, that takes a few weeks to leave your boat once you uncover it. 

For me, the best results have been lavender deodorizers from Menards (picture attached.)  They are around 2 bucks a piece, and I buy around 8 of them, and place them all over my boat. 

Generally speaking, mice don't like strong odors (moth balls, Irish Spring soap, dryer sheets, peppermint oil, coal, etc.) so any strong odor will do!  The lavender deodorizers easily last all winter unlike dryer sheets, and in the spring your boat smells fresh as a lavender breeze lol...  Much better smell than moth balls in my opinion.  

Also, put steel wool in your prop, and any cavity in your motor cowling larger than a dime.  Mice can't chew through steel wool, so you won't have any issues with mice chewing your wiring.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
10/30/19 @ 5:59 PM
Bone-fish
Bone-fish
MEMBER since 11/3/16
I didnt read all the comments but the half I did, didn't mention having a rodent problem and then having a solution with measurable success. So I'll offer that piece. My shed had mice for years. Especially in the winter.  Last winter I used moth balls. Not one single mouse turd was detected. I went from infestation to solution over night with moth balls.

10/30/19 @ 4:25 PM
chaw
User since 9/11/02

You have to add dryer sheets every month or so as they lose scent over time. Never had a problem doing it that way but I’m definitely going to add Irish Spring. My dirty socks in a storage would be worse than mouse urine. 

10/30/19 @ 4:09 PM
Goosecaller
MEMBER since 7/21/01

I am with fltlndr..... Put the dryer sheets in all compartments and the mice loved them and made nests out of them. Back to stinky old moth balls...

10/30/19 @ 3:43 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

The dirty socks alone will do the trick rest of the stuff is just so you don't have to smell the socks

10/30/19 @ 2:13 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Got it,  Fox urine,moth balls, dirty socks,Irish spring flakes,Bounce, traps baited with corn, peppermint oil.  CARPIO 

10/30/19 @ 1:43 PM
spotman
MEMBER since 12/12/06

4-5 dirty sweat socks with 8-10 mothballs  in each with a cable tie over the sock to keep them in and haven't had any snackers in years! You can actually reuse them if you keep them in a container airtight over the warm part of the year!

10/30/19 @ 12:59 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

Moth balls and/or Irish Spring soap shavings inside the boat, corn loaded mouse traps on the floor around it.  Dual safety.  Never a mouse.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 50 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.