MORE
Boats & Motors

Mice

10/30/19 @ 8:48 AM
INITIAL POST
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Now that I put my rig in the garage Ive been thinking about the mouse urine problem.  Are there any thoughts about swabbing some cotton with Fox urine and putting it in a couple of the boats storage areas?        CARPIO 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 50 posts
11/18/19 @ 4:50 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

If you cover, I've used mothballs for years. Works like a charm.

11/17/19 @ 8:12 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

I use mint oil.  I soak a couple cotton balls and place them where I don’t want mice

11/15/19 @ 10:18 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Wow, hard to argue with that video clip...

I’ve always been of the understanding that mice have sensitive sniffers, and avoid any strong odor.  

In the video clip the mice were taking bites out of the Irish Spring soap.  

I don’t put Irish Spring soap shavings in my boat, but the clip has me wondering about how effective anything is with a strong odor i.e. dryer sheets, peppermint oil, lavender, cedar chips etc.  

I will say lavender has been working well for me, maybe I’m just lucky, or maybe mice despise lavender lol

11/12/19 @ 10:06 AM
Goosecaller
User since 7/21/01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQjxTwQdpk

11/12/19 @ 9:10 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Certified Angus Beef?    Doesn’t that draw rats?   CARPIO 

11/8/19 @ 2:14 PM
Carpio
Carpio

Menards has the lavender wicks as shown below, on sale thru 11-9.     1.99 Ea.       I bought 6.   I didn’t take the seal off, only the cap.  I’ll re- use them next season.  CARPIO 

11/6/19 @ 4:58 PM
Carpio
Carpio

X.  Thanks.  CARPIO 

11/6/19 @ 2:48 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I bought the ones plum shows in his post.  It is a plastic cannister type, 1.99 at menards.

lavender WMD

11/6/19 @ 1:55 PM
Carpio
Carpio

I googled the lavender packets up and it appears that there’s a few options.  Any specific type?   

11/6/19 @ 10:59 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

menards lavender is pretty close to a WMD minus the boat destruction................

11/6/19 @ 10:08 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Thanks chaw!    I’ll settle down and re-think that option.   

11/6/19 @ 9:41 AM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

The Banjo Minnow of pest control. I smell a rat and if you go with that device you will too. 

Go with the strong scents Carpio. That device may work but you can do just fine with mothballs, lavender, dryer sheets, cedar, Irish Spring, etc. Those are all cheap options that work so why take a chance? I don’t want mice throwing a rave in your storage areas. 

How effective is ultrasonic pest control?
Pest behavior can be affected by certain ultrasonic sounds when administered in a very specific way, but this is a technology that is not commercially-available. While some ultrasonic repellents may have a minor short-term impact on some pests, most don't effectively control them.

Don’t forget if you have pets that sound may not agree with them.

11/6/19 @ 9:24 AM
Carpio
Carpio

Amazing devices, computers!    After going back to the MICE thread to re-read about cedar and lavender packets an ad popped up for.   ” Ultrasonic Pest Defender”. It sounds promising!    Apparently nobody has tried one out so I’ll probably give it a try.     CARPIO 

11/5/19 @ 5:49 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I hear ya nif, but when you throw away the deodorizer in the spring, and take the cover off, the boat airs out quickly.  

When you put a bunch of mothballs in a 1/2 dozen socks, and then put the cover on your boat, the smell takes forever to leave in spring.  

Fast forward 3 months and your boat cover still stinks like mothballs.  

I remember about three springs ago, my family took a trip to the Wolf River, and the whole trip in our boat, I smelled nothing but mothballs.  

I thought there had to be a better way...  so lavender it is lol

11/4/19 @ 10:15 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

now it smells like a french whorehouse, lol... but rodent free

Displaying 1 to 15 of 50 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE