LOGIN
Lake-Link

Mercury Smartcraft guage

1/29/21 @ 8:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER SINCE 2/8/06

I recently purchased a new boat that came equipped with the Mercury 150 XL pro XS. I’m contemplating getting the Smartcraft guage for trolling. Is it worth it or will I be able to troll slower speeds without using the gauge? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

2/22/21 @ 12:31 PM
RistoRap
USER SINCE 8/31/01

Yes, it does. You can enter how much fuel is in your tank, and it will tell you distance/time to empty real time based on your speed/RPM etc.

2/20/21 @ 9:13 AM
Tim Zwieg
USER SINCE 1/10/12

Risto, does it show you things like engine head temp, fuel burned etc, similar to the old smartcraft gages

2/19/21 @ 1:38 PM
RistoRap
USER SINCE 8/31/01

Here are a couple screenshots from my phone and also a link. Listed @ $225, but I bought mine for $150 when they had a deal going on. I basically use it as a maintenance log.

Here's a link: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-mobile/

2/19/21 @ 9:46 AM
Tim Zwieg
USER SINCE 1/10/12

John Schultz, I too have been contemplating SmartCraft for the gages, not for the trolling RPM's.  Are you saying that Vessel View is cheaper and I can monitor it all on my phone?

2/16/21 @ 9:03 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER SINCE 3/14/14

This won't help you with the trolling part, but if you want the to add the other pieces of smart craft like being able to see engine hours, fault codes, performance data, etc, if you have a smart craft capable motor, you can add the vessel view mobile controller and get all that information on your phone or a tablet. The module is a couple hundred bucks and works well. I threw it on my boat to test it for my dealer so he could decide if he wanted to keep them in stock and recommend them. One nice feature is if your motor throws any faults, it can send them directly to your dealer so you don't need to take the boat in to get an initial diagnosis of a problem. 

EyeChaser Guide Service
(608) 225-2395
2/16/21 @ 7:26 AM
ThomasNewsome
USER SINCE 2/16/21

It all depends on how much money you plan to spend and which chartplotter is worth or considering using.
If the goal is only to control the basic parameters of the motor and get more detailed information about errors, then SmartCraft SC1000 System Tachometer or Speedometer is enough.

https://thetermpapers.org

1/30/21 @ 7:01 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER SINCE 2/8/06

Thanks Prov

My son has the plate on his Mercury 125 and it works good, but depending on wind direction. I’m going to take your advice and contact Mercury about some questions. The boat is setup for a kicker, but I don’t know if I want another motor hanging off the back. I appreciate your input.

1/29/21 @ 10:11 PM
prov
prov
USER SINCE 12/21/04

You will troll slower with the gauge-i think it will let you idle it down to 550.I would call mercury to verify and any questions.You left out what speed your trying to get at.Even with the gauge i doubt you get under 2.4 on calm water.Alot of money if you dont want any slower.I installed a troll a matic plate-from cabellas on my 115 mercury 4 stroke on a 18 ft boat. Cost $100.00 -its automatic so you forget its their after 1 day.I can troll down to 1.5 on calm water.                            https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/trol-a-matic-trolling-plate

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.