Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Mercury pro xs backorder

5/23/19 @ 10:53 PM
ORIGNAL POST
outfishin
MEMBER since 1/14/13

My new boat was delivered at the end of April. The dealership delivered it with a different motor than I ordered. They are letting me run a 2019 200 hp 4 stroke until my 200 hp pro xs comes in which was supposed to be July/August. I received a call on Wednesday and the dealership is now claiming November of 2020 for my motor. Personally I can’t believe this is possible.... Anyone have any info that can either confirm or deny that it will be 18 months before I see the motor I ordered?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/16/19 @ 1:46 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

Brunswick owning Lund and Crestliner, along with a number of other brands, has a lot to do with it.   Being that they also own Mercury that is.  And are affiliated with Skeeter and Ranger.  A lot of dealers, and big dealers, are pushing the Mercury motors for this reason.  Evinrude has taken a back seat by affiliation. 

8/15/19 @ 6:56 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

update:  still patiently waiting.

6/7/19 @ 10:36 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I would attribute some of it to the new four stroke Pro XS V8 ( and the larger 4S's in general), it has opened up a huge new market for them. Guys that wanted 4S but didn't want Verado. 

6/7/19 @ 9:49 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

and if they are a like a lot of companies trying to rapidly reduce lead times, they will implement short cuts and bring in secondary suppliers that maybe of lower quality standards to reduce backlog of orders, etc....and this rapid effort to increase capacity results in other issues to the final product you ultimately get.

I would just keep the motor you have and ask for some kind of other credit personally from dealer like an extended warranty or some other gadget you want. 

Just me being cynical of course

6/7/19 @ 9:42 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

there are two kind of quality problems in manufacturing.  Field escapes are customer, warranty and public impacts that companies will acknowledge. Supplier or internal quality problems impact yield and throughput and are never acknowledged by any decent manufacturing company and always simply communicated as demand.     Very rarely are there new consumer products that hit the market that push out lead times that much unless every single major engine manufacturer is operating at same basic lead time.  The Mercury outboards are not Iphones or Furbies.

Other reasons could be that Mercury is a dump to work at and can't keep people or have terrible maintenance program and poor uptime on critical machinery.

6/7/19 @ 8:01 AM
pwrproscremin
User since 8/4/08

Yes mercury is that far backed up.  They are at least a year out for all of their big hp motors right now.  The rise of the big center console boats with multiple engines is a cause for this as well as a better economy and more people buying new. Quality is not the issue just simply a huge demand for the engines.

6/6/19 @ 8:14 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

if you get frustrated enough, PM if new motor never comes so I can purchase that boat and take it off your hands to ease the suffering

6/6/19 @ 6:33 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Outfishin help is on the way!

https://www.speedonthewater.com/in-the-news/6127-outboard-demand-drives-mercury-marine-diecast-facility-expansion/amp

5/28/19 @ 8:35 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Good thing they took care of you

5/28/19 @ 11:21 AM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06

Anyone looking to repower, there is a Pro XS onthe Facebook marketplace. 2019. Only 8 hours ane full warranty. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.