Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Mercury Classic 50 45hp

7/5/21 @ 4:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mukluk fisherman
USER SINCE 1/7/10

Any one have any thoughts on a 88 Mercury's Classic 50 45hp? Good motor? Dependable? Notorious for any problems? Looking at a boat with this motor. Appreciate any feedback. Never have owned a Mercury.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 25 OF 25 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/5/21 @ 11:30 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER SINCE 3/14/08

I had one from 82 to 90 great motor, had it on a lund Mr pike.Very smooth great for trolling.

7/5/21 @ 10:41 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
USER SINCE 1/16/11

IMO there are a nice motor, I have owned one for some years and later bought one for my late father some years back. I believe one of the major problems with older motors is disuse and poor storage. If they aren't used on a regular basis they get all gummed up and are a hassle to straighten out. Friend I sold my last Merc 50 just junked las summer. He hadn't ran it in 5 years and failed to store properly. I would tell the seller you will be bringing a 'muff' along and will need to run the motor from a cold start. Advise him the motor needs to be 'cold' when you arrive. If he needs to start the motor before you arrive the deals off. Good Luck

7/5/21 @ 6:53 PM
Blkhwkbob
MEMBER SINCE 5/27/09

I have a 1987 tiller on a 16' Lund predator and it does 26 MPH. No issues other than it was carboned up by a previous owner doing a lot of trolling. Took three mechanics to figure out why it wouldn't come up to power. Got that straightened out and no problems since. Everyone tells me to remove the auto-blend oil injection but I don't feel like mixing gas by hand.

7/5/21 @ 5:48 PM
jlkohl
USER SINCE 6/9/02

I bought one new in 88 and had it for numerous years...never had an issue with it. Strong, smooth running motor. 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 25 OF 25 POSTS
Advertise here
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.