SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Mercury Classic 50 45hp

7/5/21 @ 4:28 PM
INITIAL POST
mukluk fisherman
User since 1/7/10

Any one have any thoughts on a 88 Mercury's Classic 50 45hp? Good motor? Dependable? Notorious for any problems? Looking at a boat with this motor. Appreciate any feedback. Never have owned a Mercury.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 25 posts
7/20/21 @ 6:02 PM
mukluk fisherman
User since 1/7/10

The oil injection system or whatever it is called on this motor has been removed, so you do premix gas and oil.

7/16/21 @ 9:33 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Agree with Granddad if its got an auto blend toss it, just mix it
7/16/21 @ 7:20 PM
mukluk fisherman
User since 1/7/10

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  It seems like a good motor. Starts good, runs strong. Impeller was replaced  recently pees good. Only thing I didn't like was it quit if you turned the throttle too low, but with no kill switch maybe that's how you shut it off?

7/13/21 @ 10:33 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Had a few of those from the 70’s to the mid 90’s ! As long as nobody ran hot because of bad impeller or wrong oil, they were VERY SOLID MOTORS. IMPELLER CHANGE IS CHEEP AND EASY, CARB KITS ARE INEXPENSIVE AND AVAILABLE! Probably have to do those 2 things,plus use NON ETHANOL GAS AND YOU SHOULD BE OK. PS if it has an auto blend,throw it away and just mix 50-1 

7/13/21 @ 10:22 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Was great motor in its day.  When it first came out it was rated as a 50 hp.  I don't think they did anything different to classify it as a 45, except maybe measure the HP at the prop shaft.  4 Cyl motor so it trolled super smooth, no vibrations at all, and never skipped a beat.  Only drawback to this toiday is it's carburated, and the card may need  some cleaning and possibly rebuilding

7/6/21 @ 4:53 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

MP We used to fish for brown trout in door county,as soon as the ice let us mostly in march and one crazy trip be for that.I can not remember having a hard time starting my 50 or a friends.He had the same rig only his was a year newer.Both on 16ft lund mr pikes.That was a great time from Algoma to the tip and both s ides of door county.Won thing for sure that 50 was THURSTY.But then again know it was hard starting compared to an Etec.

7/6/21 @ 2:54 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

drummer boy,

I knew that was probably the case. I've never personally run the 'Classic Fifty,' but I have run or been in boats rigged with similar vintage Mercs and they all had one thing in common...all were VERY COLD BLOODED! Once you got them started, they usually were good. Premium no ethanol gas, good oil, SeaFoam...didn't matter. Maybe the Classic Fifty was THE motor in that Era from Merc?!

7/6/21 @ 10:40 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

piker your right you can not compare a 2 cylinder to a 50 with 4cy.I run a 75hp etec now great engine.But it will not troll any near as well as that old classic 50.I sold to a friend that is still running it.

7/6/21 @ 7:28 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

I had a 1974 65HP Merc, that ran up until I got rid of it in 2007, when I bought a new boat.  The only things we had done to the motor over the years was replace all of the fuel lines, impeller, thermostat, Carb rebuild, and a bent lower unit drive shaft from hitting a rock.  The motor ran great up until the end. I will admit Mercs always seemed that they struggled to start, but did. I was a big Merc fan, until dealer talked me into a  4 stroke Yamaha.  The Yamaha is a fantastic motor!  I will get another if I have the chance. 

7/6/21 @ 2:02 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Used to have a 35HP Mercury from that same vintage (1985/1986)...it was bar-none the WORST motor I have ever owned (that is counting 5 others). I have owned 5 OMC / BRP engines since that one and my next one will probably be a Yamaha now that BRP stopped making the E-Tec line, although if I get a good deal on one, I may still consider an E-Tec if parts are available at the time.

Those old Mercs were COLD BLOODED, idled very rough (even with tune-up - mine was a 2-cylinder, so that may be part of it) and were a turd to get the RPM's up with. Ditched that motor REAL quick, and hung a 70HP Evinrude on that 16' Alumacraft, which was WAY too much motor for that tin boat, so I traded a buddy even up for a 50HP Johnson which was a truly great motor! Like I said, those 1980's Mercury 2 strokes were dogs and I still have the Mercury bad taste in my mouth! I have a couple friends that have mid-range (90 and 115) Optimax motors that have been alright, so I'm not saying they haven't made improvements since then, but I wouldn't touch a 1980's Mercury with a 10-foot pole! Also had a buddy that had a 50HP Mercury from the early 1980's that was so unreliable, he added a 36V trolling motor so he would be able to go upriver to get to the launch...

Displaying 11 to 20 of 25 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE