MORE
Boats & Motors

Mercury 9.9 pro kicker

11/5/23 @ 10:24 AM
INITIAL POST
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

I have my boat in being winterized and while doing it they noticed that the primer bulb that goes to my pro pro kicker motor was cracked. I told them to replace it and their service guy said they’d have to order it. I assumed they’d just cut the hose on each side of the bulb and using hose clamps splice a bulb in. anyone know? Is there something special about a mercury motor that requires a specific priming system. It’s been 2 weeks....and the guy who stores it for me wants to put it in...

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
12/3/23 @ 6:09 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
lol true!

It's not a very complicated device! 

Just a primer bulb and a check valve! 
12/3/23 @ 4:16 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07
Gordon, Atwood specs are probably higher than mercs!!! LOL
12/3/23 @ 10:47 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08
Risto
no it is the primer bulb in the fuel line but good thinking though. but I still don’t have it yet….I asked when I picked up the boat why they couldn’t just put an “Atwood” bulb and he said it wasn’t up to Mercurys specifications. I didn’t get why. but did take note that they had a few bulbs hanging on their accessories hooks. I’m no mechanic but figured if they could have used one of those they would have……anyway the bulb or hose/and bulb system they ordered from Mercury is BO’d till mid December 
11/8/23 @ 2:51 PM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01
Is it possible they are talking about the primer bulb on the motor itself and not the bulb in the fuel line?

Mercury 9.9 pro kicker photo by RistoRap
11/7/23 @ 5:00 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
It is a Mercury fitting (different than an Evinrude or Johnson) to the tank and motor, but typically an off the shelf item.

If your bulb is cracked (dry rot), it's a good idea to replace the whole thing, as the fuel line isn't likely very far behind.  I've found the Merc pumper bulb assembly at F&F as well as at most dealers.  It seems odd the dealer wouldn't have one on the shelf...
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE