SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Marine Batteries

2/15/22 @ 11:11 AM
INITIAL POST
iglootipup
User since 1/8/10

I'm replacing my starting and deep cycle batteries they are interstate brand they came with the boat when I bought it in 2006 new so I'm looking for any suggestions brand, price and where to buy thanks for any help

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
5/27/22 @ 5:52 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Cranking batteries like in an auto are mostly all sealed as well as AGM an lithium batteries. Wet cell deep cycle are maintenance batteries that have a cap on each cell to check water level which is important. If the lead plates become exposed they degrade and don’t function properly.  The quickest way to kill a good battery is let the water level get low. 

5/27/22 @ 5:21 PM
mooselegs
User since 5/27/03

Thanks for your comments eyesman. I thought all batteries are sealed. What am I missing?

5/27/22 @ 1:12 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

mooselegs, if you are just powering a trolling motor and a few accessories a wet cell deep cycle battery is your most cost effective way especially if it only gets used occasionally during the course of a season. Interstate brand batteries have a good reputation from what I’ve seen. A Fleet Farm brand battery would also serve your purpose at a bit of cost savings. If you have room go with a group 31 series to get the most run time you can. Battery maintenance is the key to get long life out of a battery. Charge after each use, monitor the water level and add as needed and avoid running the battery completely dead. If your trolling motor is 24 or 36 volt start with new matching batteries to link together to get the voltage needed. AGM or lithium batteries are other options, each has a greater price as well as some advantages over a wet cell battery. Most people that complain about their wet cell batteries are there from lack of proper maintenance rather than a poor quality product. 

5/27/22 @ 8:39 AM
mooselegs
User since 5/27/03

I read the up-thread posts but still not clear what is the best marine battery for my situation. I need a battery to operate my trolling motor and Minnkota Deckhand anchor unit.....that's it. I'm not looking to replace my starting battery at this time.

Fleet farm has the following Interstate batteries on sale. I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could give me a little 101 on these; cost is not a concern.

BTW.....although cost is not a concern, I'm looking for the best value for the money. Warranty in not much of a factor. I only use my fishing rig a few times a year so if a lesser expensive battery is better than top of the line, I'd chose the former.

Thanks!

https://www.fleetfarm.com/category/tires-automotive/batteries-battery-accessories/marine-rv-batteries/_/N-2520539151+2576173245?utm_source=weeklyad&utm_campaign=C22221

4/19/22 @ 6:36 PM
Big Yonsson
Big Yonsson
PRO MEMBER User since 9/29/03

Deep cycle for both trolling batteries of same CCA.

MARINE STARTING BATT OF SAME CCA,FOR ENG,LIGHTS,FISHFINDER.....

3/17/22 @ 7:45 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

Manufacturer dates are usually stamped or etched into the battery.

3/16/22 @ 3:19 PM
one more cast
one more cast
User since 1/2/02

A lot of variables in play when choosing a starting battery and deep cycle trolling motor batteries.  I've learned a lot from Mercury master technicians on bass boat central forums and the shop owner at The Boat Doc, who was an engineer at Merc before opening that shop.  For starting batteries, you cannot run an AGM battery as your starting battery in a Merc EFI outboard, i.e. my old Merc 200 HP EFI.  You can only run a starting (NOT starting/ deep cycle dual purpose) lead acid battery as the starting battery, with certain minimum CCA and reserve minutes capacity requirements in a 27, 29 or 31 series.  As far as deep cycle trolling motor batteries, it is a highly debatable issue based on cost, performance/longevity, etc but much more personal preference than with starting batteries.  Many years ago I got a discount on a pair of 31 series lead acid Trojan deep cycle I used in series for my 24V trolling motor and got 8 1/2 years out of them using an additive called Thermoil, that replaces a portion of the electrolyte in each cell.  My current deep cycle batteries for my 24V Terrova TM are 27 series Interstate lead acid, bought from an Interstate store.  Big difference with Walmart or fleet farm batteries is how long they sit on the shelf from the factory in thr warehouse, without  ever being maintained, before they even go on the sales floor.  That is not an issue with batteries bought at the Interstate stores.  I bought Everstart from Walmart in a pinch once and they were junk in 3 years.  Tried fleet farm once.  Maybe 4 years.  Always got 5 years out of interstates.  A good multi-stage digital charger is important as is plugging them in ASAP after use.  I run a Noco Genius 10AX3 (10 amps charging each of 3 batteries).  Had a MinnKota MK345C (15AX3) that was junk right after the warranty ran out....

2/17/22 @ 12:01 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

I have to believe you are replacing those batteries simply because your boat has not been used in some time.  Even the best maintained lead acid battery is maybe going to get you 8 years and that would be a stretch.   A well used and maintain Lead acid batteries could serve you well for 6-7 years depending on cycles, maintenance etc. A good habit to replace lead acids at in the 4-6 year range is a solid practice.

Making an assumption that your boat probably does not get a lot of significant use, a set of lead acid replacement batteries from Wal-mart would serve you very well also. Despite all the Wal-mart haters their batteries and warranties on the batteries are comparable to other lead acid batteries.

good luck

2/16/22 @ 7:32 PM
fredeye
User since 1/5/10

no battery last 16 years

2/15/22 @ 9:27 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

If Interstate lasted 16 yrs, I agree with HH about why you would even question the quality of other batteries??? I would stay the same for sure, even if the price is more than some other batteries. Never skimp on batteries is my motto. 

2/15/22 @ 7:35 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

I replace my batteries every 5 years regardless. Been out with others and their battery issues. Just feel better knowing I have enough to get back to the launch at all times.

2/15/22 @ 11:37 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Gosh, if you've been using the same Interstate since 2006, I'd probably just stick with those.

2/15/22 @ 11:28 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I’ve been using the Duracell Platinum AGM marine batteries in my boat and they have been great. I’ve tried a lot of the different brands in the past and these are by far the best I’ve had. I also have the Duracell AGM batteries in both of my quads. They can be found at Batteries Plus, but Sam’s Club has them much cheaper. I hope this helps.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE