MORE
Boats & Motors

Maintenance free battery causing diode/rectifier to burn out

7/17/19 @ 4:24 PM
INITIAL POST
Boogie
Boogie
PRO MEMBER User since 1/25/02

I have a 1989 Evinrude 60 HP that apparently is only supposed to use a wet cell/lead acid/flooded battery and not a maintenance free battery or it will burn out the rectifier/diode.  Has anyone else had this problem?  

Is there a way to solve the problem without buying a new battery which is harder to find a starting battery?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
7/23/19 @ 5:47 PM
Boogie
Boogie

I decided in the end to go with a flooded battery instead of maintenance free. I can see both sides. If I didn’t and I overheated the battery or blew out the diode on Lake Michigan and had to be towed, I’m money ahead. 

Thanks for all of the input. I am now more educated. 

7/19/19 @ 11:34 AM
Boogie
Boogie

Thanks for the input.  I have been hearing the same info from several sources.  I learned something and confirmed my knowledge.  Tight wires are what is needed and the battery other than possible over charging and heating are the only problems.  The over heating is preventable by using some other device while running open.

I don't believe that the repair place is trying to up their repair price just letting me know that there could be a problem since Evinrude recommends (in 1989) not to use maintenance free batteries for the starting motor.

Tight lines and tight wires!

PS: It is a marine starting battery.

7/18/19 @ 1:21 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Not an expert.....but here is my take

Are you using a maintenance free car battery? Or a maintenance free marine/RV battery? I haven't heard of anyone using a car battery for the boat motor, but I have never heard of issues using a maintenance free marine/RV battery and damage to rectifiers.  

A rectifier will burn out if the connection to the battery isn't solid.  So if you have bad wiring, or if your wiring jiggles on the post (wing nuts), then you can/will fry the rectifier / alternator.  

7/18/19 @ 12:26 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

That sounds like a wives tale, I have a 1984 Evinrude 70 hp and my main battery is maintenance free and my trolling is a AGM round cell. Never an issue for me and have used a maintenance free battery for many years now on my boat . Always shows charging on my locators.  

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE