SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Looking to upgrade

9/2/19 @ 2:59 AM
INITIAL POST
jfoss82
User since 5/13/06

So my 1976 Mercury 9.8 took a crap this weekend. I’m now looking into purchasing a new or newer tiller. Looking at 20-25 hp. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? It’s going on a 14 foot mirrocraft I’m not really partial to any one brand. Just as long as they are reliable. Thanks

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
9/19/19 @ 9:15 PM
2014ranger+115
User since 8/7/17

jfoss82, Any of the bigger manufacturers make good stuff.  Mercury repair can be found anywhere.  I noticed that  some recommended 4 stroke and others recommended size.  Your question was based on brand.  I have always loved the Evinrude/Johnson/ omc products.  I currently have a merc 115 and 6 hp on my current boat.  Previous boat had OMC and a Johnson 30 for a "kicker" to push my 26 ft boat.  All are awesome.  Yamaha is awesome too.  These companies have the money and technology to make great products and continue their research and development.  I would satay away from Honda only because dealerships are sparce if you need service immediately. 

9/2/19 @ 12:24 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I had a Mirrocraft 14' deep fisherman that would take up to a 35, Dad had a 14' Mirrocraft resorter that took up to a 20 or 25, he had a 20 on it, 20 was plenty!

But a good point raised by Shane

Be sure to check the tag on the boat that lists max hp and weight

Had a 25 merc 2stroke, was a great motor 

I'd take a look at the etec , probably a little lighter and less maintenance... I have had a 50 etec and it was a great motor..

... I  currently have a 70 Yamaha,  and it is super sweet, but changing the oil and filter is a pita, otherwise sweet engine

9/2/19 @ 10:39 AM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

yamaha 4 stroke.

9/2/19 @ 10:19 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My dad has a Yamaha on his pontoon. Great motor. If/when my 30 year old Merc dies, it will be replaced with a Yami. 

9/2/19 @ 7:01 AM
youp50
User since 8/18/19

A few years back I was set on a Merc 25 4 stroke.  I found out Tohatsu made Mercs under 35.  I also found a new old stock 18 hp manual start Tohatsu for a grand under the price of a Merc..

I switched the oil to a full synthetic and it pulls much easier.  I liked the motor.  It is residing in the basement now (Not for sale), awaiting another boat or the call to replace the 15 hp Honda kicker on a bigger boat.

9/2/19 @ 7:01 AM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

I don't have a tiller,but love my etec...

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE