leaking alumacraft

9/13/18 @ 7:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Arod
Arod
USER since 2/26/13

I have a 2012 Alumacraft navigator. This spring it started to take in water. First thought it was a bad rivet. So I put boat on trailer and filled it with water. Then I crawled under it and found water streaming out of a paint bubble on the flat surface of the hull. No rivet problem. Upon further inspection found a number of paint bubble on the hull but only one was leaking. Dealer conferred with Alumacraft and they agreed to a temporary fix by applying silicon to the leaking bubble. Also on a number of other paint bubbles. In October my boat will be sent to Alumacraft for their inspection and determine how to fix it permanently. Alumacraft and the dealer both said they have never seen or heard of this problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it outrageous to expect them to present a deal for a new boat? The more I think about this the more I do not want a boat with a leak because of a material flaw. Thoughts??? 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 42 Posts
1/18/19 @ 7:08 PM
lunker75
lunker75
USER since 12/13/13

Craziest thing I ever heard !!!!!! Mouse piss!!!!  You would've saw mouse crap everyware if they were ravaging that boat .....they would be crawling all over and chewing up stuff and leaving clues like shredded paper foam pieces they make a ton of mess .If you had no clue and everything looks mint I call bulls@#$.I think somethings up at alumacraft never heard of this in 30 years .  There is probably a defect and making up some b.s. story ...Anyway I hate to see any of us fellow fishermen  get bent over a barrel ....so Good luck I hope they make you satisfied somehow keep us posted ..BTW I bought  a new 2012 lund rebel xl ss and I think I'm gonna  set out some mouse traps tonight JUST IN CASE !!!!

Post Your Comment
1/18/19 @ 2:41 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

I put dryer sheets where they were getting into my motor. They just made a nest with them. Steel wool worked a lot better.

Edited on 1/18/19 2:42 PM
Post Your Comment
1/18/19 @ 1:51 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

I put those fabric softener sheets in a few compartments on the boat, maybe I dont do enough, more next year for sure. Plus some poison pellets.

Even so if mice were that big a problem I would think youd see more excrement out in the open.

Post Your Comment
1/17/19 @ 9:33 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Nice... hope your insurance can help you out... 

Post Your Comment
1/17/19 @ 8:26 PM
Arod
Arod
USER since 2/26/13

Alumacraft has given me their assessment of my leaking boat. Their technician removed everything from my boat from floor boards to the gas tank. They found a number of mice nests, extensive tunneling and damage. Upon further inspection they determined that mice had their run throughout the boat. It was stated that the smell was over whelming. It was determined that their nests and excrement have caused significant damage to the hull and transom. They said all this is extremely corrosive to aluminum. They estimated that the repairs would cost between $4000 to $4500 to fix the problem. They listed 6 repairs they need to do but did not mention any damage to any wiring. To my surprise Alumacraft agreed to repair my boat as a good will gesture at no cost to me but I will be responsible for labor costs. I appreciate how Alumacraft has handled this situation. I will be calling my insurance company to see if any of this is covered.

Finally I do spend time cleaning and taking care of my boat. I have never seen any reason to believe that it had an infestation of mice. I will be doing a more diligent job of trying to keep mice out. I hope that my experience helps others to be more aware of how they store their aluminum boats each fall.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 6:43 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

all mammal's urine is corrosive,  share the pics...

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 5:37 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
It's an issue that is somewhat known in the aviation world but I've never heard of it in boats before.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 3:45 PM
fishiz2
fishiz2
USER since 7/1/03

If you’re a member of Facebook, post in Alumacraft boat owners. I think there were comments about “paint bubbles” at some point, I think it was blamed on a grounding issue.

Edited on 1/11/19 3:46 PM
Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 3:11 PM
Arod
Arod
USER since 2/26/13

They did say they found an active nest, Just an hour or so ago customer service person emailed me and said on Monday they would send pictures of what they found. Also this person's supervisor will be contacting me. I know many people that have aluminum boats and have never heard anything like this. When I first questioned the dealer and Alumacraft about the problem neither said anything about mouse urine corroding through knowing that the leaking was not coming from a rivet. Still having a hard time believing this.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 2:59 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
It's corrosive but to corrode through 2 sheets of AL? Was there any evidence of mice (droppings, smell, etc)?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 42 Posts