LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Kicker Motor Fuel Line (add to main fuel line)

6/30/20 @ 8:06 AM
INITIAL POST
1700PROVEE
User since 5/16/10

Do I put in the T-valve before the primer bulb on the main motor or after? I'm going to call a dealer to verify. Any other details with this that I would need to know. Never did this before and don't want to miss something.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
7/24/20 @ 11:55 AM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

If you put check valve in the line to kicker it will keep fuel from getting sucked out of line by big motor.Had this problem when we started main before turning off kicker,or running main to maintain voltage for radar,riggers ect.

7/24/20 @ 9:26 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

On my last boat I went with the main line into a gas water separator filter

It has two or three outputs for fuel so one to the main motor went to the kicker it's that simple

And ideally now the kicker motor get the water separated and a fuel filter even though the large motor has its own water separator and fuel filter

This is just a sure that the main motor gets even cleaner fuel

7/22/20 @ 7:50 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

My main and kicker are tied in together and its much better that way in my opinion.  Don't have the hassle of the small tank bouncing around the boat.  Thankfully I have a friend who was able to hook it up for me as that is way beyond my skill level.

7/21/20 @ 9:47 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

This is something I thought about a lot 2 winters ago when I ordered my new boat. Original plan was to run the kicker off of the main fuel tank but I decided that I wanted the kicker completely separate from main power and fuel.  I run my kicker off of the stock 3 gallon tank which fits nicely underneath the back deck, behind a large removable compartment liner. This space is actually perfect because it would normally be wasted space. Depending on conditions and species I’m chasing, I can troll about 16 hours on 3 gallons and although it’s a minor inconvenience to climb in the boat, take out compartment liner, fill tank,  I love the fact that the kicker is 100% on its own fuel, fuel line, etc. Just my 2 cents. 

7/1/20 @ 8:30 AM
1700PROVEE
User since 5/16/10

Thanks for the help guys... much appreciated! Main motor is a 2012 60 HP Etec. Not sure if that would matter.

6/30/20 @ 10:12 PM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Another way would be to install a fuel /water separator filter.  Main fuel supply line in, and two lines out. No need for switching valves, with the bonus of filtering your gas.

6/30/20 @ 2:55 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Just remember to switch it back to your main when you take off for the dock. The first time I forgot and my main killed shortly after I got it on plane. I had an Oh No Moment for a few seconds before I remembered the valve.

6/30/20 @ 1:01 PM
_Troller
User since 4/22/02

Thanks BugleTrout. Pretty sure i'm going that route.

6/30/20 @ 12:23 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I was advised by a couple of boat mechanics to install a switching valve. Otherwise the main motor could suck air back through the kicker and/or vise versa which can cause damage. I assume by corrosion. Local shops have the valves but I found one on-line for about half of the price.

6/30/20 @ 9:03 AM
1700PROVEE
User since 5/16/10

Thanks for the post Fish Hound. No extra fuel line that I can see. Boat is a 1989 Lund Pro V 1700.

6/30/20 @ 8:29 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Check your fuel tank, there may be provision for a second fuel line so you do not have to "tee" it in. 

Heard many time's adding a tee is not generally a good idea because you could pull air back through the other motor. Most will recommend a fuel selector lever if no second line can be installed.

If you still decide to tee it in then certainly before the primer bulb which is also a back flow and would help with the air issue. Make sure to include a primer bulb for the kicker as well then.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE