SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Kicker Linkage to Main Motor

10/16/19 @ 7:51 AM
INITIAL POST
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

What methods can be used to link a kicker motor to the main motor to allow for regular steering? I would like to be able to always have them linked regardless if the kicker is deployed. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
10/18/19 @ 8:03 PM
netmaster
User since 10/22/01

they make one that that attachs in the rear of the motors . I think you can leave them linked up cheaper is accross the front but you have to unhook reel simple. Lot cheaper takes about 10 seconds to hook up 

10/18/19 @ 7:23 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

He gives the year, make, and model, of the motors so I'd be fairly sure he has the motors already.

No way I could suck in the fumes of a two-stroke running on the back.

Smaller four strokes like the 5 and 6 are single cylinder vibrators, especially at low RPM.

10/18/19 @ 7:17 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I agree with big muskie.  I have 16 foot D star aluminum with 50 hp fourstroke.  I can troll with motor down to 2.5 mph on flat calm day.  Two, 5 gallon buckets rigged to drag, one on each side,  gets troll speed down to 1.5 mph on flat calm days.  Terrova goes from .3 to 3 mph.   My speed range for trolling is covered from crappie to muskie.

If you still want a second motor,  would a smaller 5 to 6 hp cover the need?  Much lighter than a four stroke 9.9 hp.  I wonder what kind of weight your transom can handle.  Also, just thinking, older 2 stroke 9.9 to 15 hp outboards don't weigh much more than modern 6 hp four strokes.  I guess that would also be an option.

Good luck.  Isn't rigging out our boats fun!

Shellfish.

10/16/19 @ 3:19 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Ball joints and quick connect couples on both sides, super easy for under $35

Panther Marine Products

Attwood at Fleet Farm

10/16/19 @ 1:48 PM
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

Thanks for taking the time to go into detail! Are there any specific linkage bars with quick connect you have had success with?

10/16/19 @ 11:00 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

With manual steering (I'm assuming single cable) I would not recommend keeping the kicker attached all the time. The extra weight of the kicker trimmed up and moving from side to side might make steering very difficult off center. The kicker motor weight will want to fall to the side and you'll be pulling against it. 

Get a linkage bar and disconnect and reconnect when steering is needed, it only takes a second and you have to go back to deploy and start the motor any ways.

Looking at the transom of that boat you have a step down for your main meaning your auxiliary motor will sit higher so you will have to do some "customizing" of the bar but it will be quick and hassle free once done.

10/16/19 @ 10:24 AM
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

Boat: 2011 Lowe FM165

Power trim, manual steering on main motor. The 9.9 is Mercury F9.9 MLH (Manual trim & start)

10/16/19 @ 10:03 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

On what boat?

Do you have hydraulic steering?

You say 9.9 manual......... do you mean a 9.9 auxiliary motor or is it an actual kicker?

10/16/19 @ 9:45 AM
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

2011 Mercury 50HP to 2017 Mercury 9.9HP (Manual) 

10/16/19 @ 9:31 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

What motors are you linking and on what boat, every set-up can have different options?

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE