MORE
Boats & Motors

Johnson 50 ?s

7/3/20 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
Monkeymaster
User since 2/22/17

Hello,

Couple of questions on my 2000 50 hp Johnson outboard.

2000 Lowe 17 ft aluminum bass boat 

1st, I noticed today I have some spitting of water out the back at idle, see picture, it goes away at speed, kinda hard to see back there when driving, I have a good stream out of the hose from the water pump where it should be.

I never noticed this before, should I be concerned ? 

2nd

How quick should this motor come up to full speed and plane.

5 seconds , 7, 10 ?

It seems to take awhile to come up to full speed and plane. I would say around 10 to 12 seconds

This is my 1st boat, going on 3rd year owning, boat and motor have treated me good so far, just wondering .

Thanks 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
7/10/20 @ 10:01 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13
After way too long in the marine industry. It's sad to say most boats are not running the correct propeller. The only way to check is RPM. A tach is usually not included on small to midsize boats to keep the cost down. You may be able to find someone with a auto shop tack that will clamp on the coil wire. I've had better luck clamping on the small wire feeding the coil instead of the spark plug wire. If the tack only reads 4stroke, the correct reading will be one half. With a light load you should be close to 6000rpm. Don't go over. Anything 5700 and above should be good. When you load the boat it will drop rpm. But will stay in the operating range.
7/4/20 @ 7:29 AM
Monkeymaster
User since 2/22/17

Yes, read several posts and manual where at idle spray is normal/ok from back of motor. 

Not sure of top speed, but It does scoot on up there, more than I had thought when I bought it.

I would guess 20 mph or so?

Prop was on motor when bought, kinda figured it had a lot to do with speed of getting on plane, top speed ect ect.

Thanks for the input everyone 

7/3/20 @ 10:44 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

It's a patented design by OMC,to muffle exhaust at idle.

Slow holeshot,need to verify WOT RPM,and prop it to manufacturers specs.Lugging the motor will kill it much faster than tapping the rev limiter. 

7/3/20 @ 9:25 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I have a 2001 Johnson 70 hp.  Up at full speed and on plane I am guessing in 4-5 seconds.  

On your 50 hp, is she maxing out at about 26-28 mph?  

7/3/20 @ 8:56 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Owned an early 90's 30hp Johnson on a 15ft aluminum with captain console for a few years. Probably took about 7 or 8 seconds to get on plane with where I had the trim set (no electric trim in it) with just me on it.

I had the same thing with the water spurting out the back. Talked to a few people who know more than me and they said it's no problem, had something to do with back pressure when idle can't discharge the water. I don't remember exactly.  Others on here probably know more than my sources though and can explain why it's there and what it means. But the important takeaway is I never had any performance issues and it's normal.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE