SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Internal GPS as Good as a Puck?

8/9/20 @ 10:27 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

The new Helix 10's have an internal GPS receiver. Are they as good as an external puck? I know the older models were not. I need to tell the rigging guys if I want one or not. The dealer said that most guys are not adding the puck. Any experience out there? Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
8/12/20 @ 8:34 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I've got zero issues with my internal puck on my Helix 10 G3N.

But...I do have a puck in the back.  2 actually.

One runs just mapping for an older 'Bird.

The other helps the Ulterra link with my Helix.  And the spot lock is amazing.  But, I did need to pair it, then calibrate it.  It's crazy how well it holds compared to my old Terrova.

8/10/20 @ 9:24 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

The new pucks are much more accurate and faster than the older pucks.  The internal modules are very adequate.  Comes down to how accurate do you want or need to be, and how much do you want to spend.

8/10/20 @ 7:26 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Put puck in back of boat near transducer if you plan on mapping with your unit other than that no problems with internals

8/9/20 @ 5:16 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Today's external GPS Puck antenna is more advanced than your internal GPS antenna

For the hummingbird you want to get the one that also has the compass built in  hummingbird a s GPS HS precision GPS antenna with heading sensor

When your boat is spinning it always points in the direction you're heading

One of the benefits of having an external GPS antenna you can place it at the back of the boat in the corner of the location of your sonar transducer making transducer and GPS a tighter accuracy

When you have your console screen with the GPS built in and your transducer is in the back of the boat it can be 8 feet off or more by the length of the boat you have

I hope that makes sense

Another good example the best you can get for accuracy of GPS and sonar when you have ipilot link on your trolling motor your sonar are exactly on top of each other and GPS accuracy is whatever the percentage of air in a GPS unit

8/9/20 @ 11:05 AM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

My 08 networkd Lowrances were better with a puck. My new Garmins or any mfg through the years are better. My internal GPS locks on in seconds vs my puck maybe a minute.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE