MORE
Boats & Motors

I pilot recommendations

12/13/19 @ 8:03 AM
INITIAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

I have finally decided to pull the trigger on an I pilot. The feature I most need is the spot lock. Any suggestions? I really like the remote so is there any need for a foot controller? Also, how would you mount it to the bow of my boat? Thanks for the help.

Tim

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
12/30/19 @ 8:47 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

That reminds me a lot of an old boat I once had.  I had a trolling motor on the front of it too.  What I did was build a little compartment/deck.  Wasn't really enough to stand on, it was more like a box the shape of the front of the boat that I could put a door on the side of and use for dry storage.  I used 3/4" marine plywood to build it, put carpet over it.  Screwed from the outside of the boat into the wood to mount it in place.

12/21/19 @ 8:38 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

If you go with 12V do yourself a favor and get a size 31 battery. There are days with wind and/or current and the fish are biting and running out of juice is frustrating. The 31 can give you a couple of extra hours of fishing time vs size 27.

I have the 24V Terrova on my 16' Lund with a pair of 31s and I run out of steam way before the batteries!

Grey Beard 

12/20/19 @ 9:35 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

I had a similar set up.  the terrova lined up perfectly to mount to rails of the boat.  got lucky I guess.

12/16/19 @ 1:11 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Terrova is an awesome unit.  I believe it comes with the foot pedal and remote.  My pedal is stashed in a compartment, and has been used once or twice over a couple of years.  It's nice to have just in case.

12/14/19 @ 1:33 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Get the Terrova,you won't regret it.It's nice having the foot pedal just in case.Stash it somewhere in the boat,and if something happens to remote you're covered.

Any fab shop can make you a new bow cap for mounting.

12/13/19 @ 1:07 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

1/4" diamond plate will flex every time you're on and off the power without being supported, no question about it.

I mounted one for a guy on the front of an older Starcraft that he said the carpeted 1/2" plywood would be plenty. He banged his fist on it and said "it's plenty solid". Guess what, after the first weekend I was reworking it for extra support because it was rocking and twisting when on and off the power.

12/13/19 @ 12:52 PM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

Ol sarge.. 

your adding a trolling motor with the I-pilot add on... GREAT choice..

the 12V power drive I-pilot will have 2 options for control.. either the foot control OR the remote not both at the same time.. IF you want both then you need to go to a Terrova they do have a 12V option model so both controls would be available.

Depending on your style of fishing would determine which one would be best for you. I have a Terrova   when trolling I love the hand held remote for cruise control option. When casting shorelines and weed edges the foot control is best for me as I don't constantly need to drop a hand to control the trolling motor.

Spot lock is a GREAT  accessory to the trolling motor and can be accessed with either controller 

For the extra buck a Terrova is the best value in my opinion.

The aluminum checker plate add will be plenty good for the mounting.

GOOD LUCK... you will love it.

Jimmy

12/13/19 @ 11:59 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I agree, building that out with plywood or even better 3/4" marine Starboard wouldn't be to hard at all. I don't think diamond plate itself will work unless very thick. Mount a battery box up on the floor and your good to go. 

12v 55# Terrova I-Pilot would seem to fit you well. Shaft length is hard to tell from the picture but 54" would be safe.

12/13/19 @ 11:37 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

Thanks for the input. Sometimes it gets confusing trying to figure everything out and it is nice to hear others opinions. I am going to have a fabricator I know put diamond plate on the front so I have something permanent to mount to. I think the I pilot will make fishing a little less frustrating especially when it comes to wind and current.

12/13/19 @ 10:55 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

From the looks of the front of your boat, you will not have enough of a surface mounting plate. You will most likely have to build that up.

As far at the motor, you will be fine with a 12V and a group 27 or 31 battery. The foot pedal will help if you should have a problem with the hand remote.

12/13/19 @ 10:37 AM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

The Terrova w/I-pilot will come with both the remote and foot pedal. A Powerdrive w/I-pilot can only be used with the remote . Personally, I like to use the foot pedal when jigging the river so my hands are free, but use the remote when trolling. It's nice to have the foot pedal as back up in case there would ever be an issue with the remote.

As far as mounting to your boat, It's hard to tell from the pic, but I'm thinking you are going to need to add some type of plate or bar across the bow behind the factory plate to give you a little more surface area to bolt it down. Not sure how much area that current bow plate gives you to work with.

12/13/19 @ 9:52 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

It all depends what trolling motor you have or are getting. Go to Humminbird web site and start reading. Go to old Lake Link pages, it has been covered often!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE