MORE
Boats & Motors

I Broke My Boat - Need Help

4/3/20 @ 3:13 PM
INITIAL POST
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Howdy friends.  I broke my boat and hoping everybody can help me out because I am not mechanically inclined at all.  It's a mid-90's 30hp Johnson.  Here's what happened:

I launched my boat, started it up with no issue, and let it idle to warm up while I scurried around the boat getting a few other things ready.  In my movement, I buried the prop in the sand without realizing it.  As I advanced the throttle forward, I heard a "thunk" and the motor died.  Realizing what happened, I cleared the prop from the sand and turned the key... nothing happened.  Didn't try to crank or anything, might as well have unhooked it from the battery.  The ignition is the only thing I have connected to that battery, and everything else was still working fine.

Brought my boat home and looked it over.  All fuses I could fine appear to be in good shape.  All wiring as far as I can tell is still connected (there are a few wires that were obviously cut and I don't think they were in use since I've had the boat).  The throttle still moves and the lever on the motor reacts accordingly.  When the boat is in neutral, the propeller will still rotate.  When it's in gear, the prop still catches when I try to rotate it.

I opened the casing on the throttle and as far as I can tell everything looks fine in there, too.

A buddy of mine thought maybe something bent in the lower from the jolt, and it won't get out of gear, resulting in it not cranking.  I know these motors are relatively simple, but I'm not desperate enough yet to test my luck taking off the lower myself.

So with that, I'm out of ideas and looking for help.  Really don't want to have to take it in to spend a lot of money, and I'm worried it will cost more than the boat is worth.

Thanks in advance.  Maybe this will be the kick in the pants I need to get out on the kayak more.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/29/20 @ 12:18 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

For those that were kind enough to offer your input, thank you!  Here's the video of my boat dying, which was just the start of a day of "everything-going-wrong-itis"

4/8/20 @ 3:40 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Most motors with an electric start usually have a small fuse box attached to the block usually near the alternator. When you buried the prop in the sand you might have brown that fuse. Easy to locate just follow wire off the alternator back to the fuse box.

4/8/20 @ 12:44 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

They do have a neutral safety switch on them so that the motor can not be started in gear. I believe located in the shifter / throttle control. Possibly just wasn't locked right into neutral. Glad to hear you got it running.

4/3/20 @ 8:31 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I appreciate the heads up.  

4/3/20 @ 5:26 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

If one thing years in the HVAC trade has taught me, is that if you don’t find a failed part, loose connection, or something else obvious, the problem is likely to return. 

Over the years, I’ve been on no heat calls, and you get there and everything is working fine. It’s not always easy to diagnose a problem when everything appears to be working as it should - you don’t know which area you should be looking...  Conversely, when something isn’t working, you can start to troubleshoot....

My guess is that you have a loose / intermittent connection. Start with the easy stuff such as tightening the battery cables and move onto the starting components. You may even have something less obvious such as a dead or flat spot on your starter.

At the end of the day, if you didn’t find a smoking gun, it’ll likely show its face again at some point...

4/3/20 @ 4:51 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Voldie wins the day for me! I didn't actually do anything you said, but I pulled the cables from the plugs (left the plugs in), reconnected, and now it fires right up! Not sure what the issue was, but it's working now! Voldie, I owe you a couple two tree beers.

4/3/20 @ 4:32 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

If you have a VOA meter you could check to see if you are getting voltage to the starter when the key is turned. Also you could remove the spark plugs and see if you can turn the motor by hand using the flywheel.

4/3/20 @ 4:18 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

It's free and clear. Good thought though

4/3/20 @ 3:37 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Take your cover off and look at your starter gear it may be stuck at the fly weel.Take a brass punch and tap on the gear.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE