SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Humminbird Networking

2/19/20 @ 9:26 AM
INITIAL POST
Ed5W
PRO MEMBER User since 12/28/01

I am updating the electronics on my boat and purchased 2 Helix 8 G3N Mega SI+ (for console and bow) and a Terrova I-Pilot Link.  I did not purchase the items to network them together at the time.  What items do I need to network these items and if possible a description of how they are connected.  Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
2/21/20 @ 12:06 PM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Sylvan,

Correct, you can only network two devices without having to add the ethernet hub. 

Assuming you want to keep the Ulterra networked to your console unit, you would need to add the hub if you wanted to add a second unit onto the network at the console.

Assuming your bow unit is network compatible, adding the hub would then allow you to have both console units, the bow unit, and the Ulterra all networked together.

2/21/20 @ 12:04 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yes, each unit has one ethernet port, if you want more than two connected (Unit to Unit) an ethernet port is required.

If this case if you have your TM connected to your 9" at the helm there is no way other than the ethernet hub to connect the 9" to another graph.

2/21/20 @ 9:09 AM
sylvanoaks
User since 8/1/18

Not sure I completely understand yet, but I already have my Ulterra cabled to my mega 9 at the console.  If I add one more bird at the console, and wanted the two of them networked together, than I would need the ethernet port adapter???  No intention of networking a bow unit.

2/19/20 @ 8:49 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Yes the Ethernet hub is spendy, but it is nice to have them all linked together.  That way you can control the trolling motor from either unit, you can share waypoints between them, can follow a contour from either unit as well.

2/19/20 @ 10:33 AM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Humminbird's basic network allows you to connect two devices by just running an ethernet cable ($60) between the two. If there will be more than two units or accessories on the network, you will need to add the ethernet port switch ($270) and cables between the hub and the units.

If you wanted to control the I-pilot Link from one of your Helix's you could just run an ethernet cable between the two. But, if you want to have both Helix's and the I-pilot Link on the network, you will need to add the ethernet switch.

It's not too complicated either way, just depends how much control you want and how much money you want to spend. You could just network one unit to the I-pilot Link for now and add the hub later.

Link to the ethernet acc's

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/search?jo-search=ethernet&jo-page=2

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE