SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Hard Turning Steering Wheel

10/1/22 @ 4:15 PM
INITIAL POST
Golf Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/22/12

Maybe a dumb question ?? but would it help to spray some lubricant on the exposed ends of the steering cables to make things work a little better?

Wife has a hard time turning the wheel. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
10/3/22 @ 12:33 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Change them, had the same experience with my old Skeeter,  cables finally broke and had to hold the motor to get all the way back to the launch.  At least mine broke when I started to give it throttle and just had to throttle back to slow down. 

10/1/22 @ 7:02 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

The voice of experience         here :)

The steering cables are going, and need to be replaced.

My boat was the same way, and then when I was going across the lake at wide-open throttle, the cable snapped and I had no steering.  It was crazy scary! I ended up disconnecting the cables from the motor, put the motor in forward as slow as it could go, and sat in the stern and steered it like it was a tiller. 

If it is an older boat, it is time for new cables!

I ignored mine, and just put up with it for a few months, and looking back, that was a very unwise decision…

10/1/22 @ 5:26 PM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Prolly has a grease fitting (or two) where it pivots. Might be a tensioner knob like a tiller would have.

10/1/22 @ 5:00 PM
Golf Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/22/12

Yes

it’s a older 150 2 cycle mercury 

10/1/22 @ 4:49 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

If you have a steering wheel sometimes there is a adjustment screw to add more or less tension to the wheel not sure if you have one or not but that's one thing to check. I had a issue with my boats steering getting tighter and tighter. And I tried spraying the ends etc  with oil and it didn't matter unfortunately ended up having to replace the rack and pinion and cable.  But it can't hurt to lube the cables and rack and pinion, worm gear etc under the console cuz you never know. 

10/1/22 @ 4:25 PM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Is it an outboard?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE