Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Gas Milage

7/16/21 @ 8:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
RangerKid
USER SINCE 6/26/01

Just started noticing lately how much gas my outboard has been using lately. Not sure if I have a motor issue, or if I just happen to be paying more attention. I have a 1997 100 hp 2+4 Mariner 2 stroke, on a 16.7 Ranger Fisherman. Last time out I went on Lake Michigan for a 4 hour trip from put in to take out, with the majority of the time trolling, on a nice calm evening. I used 9 gallons of gas, and only had 2 gallons left, which gave me some concern when I found out. On the trip before this one I was on the wolf river, and also used more gas than I thought I should have. Anyone have any input, if this is excessive or would be considered normal. If it sounds excessive, any thoughts on what could be causing it.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 14 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/16/21 @ 11:31 PM
RangerKid
USER SINCE 6/26/01

To be honest Tim, I'm usually on local inland lakes that don't need much motoring around, to get to a fishing spot, so I haven't paid much attention to it to compare it to other years. It's not the price that caught my attention, but how fast the tanks emptied. 

7/16/21 @ 9:32 PM
Zwiegs
USER SINCE 1/10/12

I had a couple of the Mercury 125 2+2 motors.  It was a bit of a gas hog in its day.  How much gas do you think you are burning compared to say last month or last year?  Or is it just more noticeable because gas is way up this year?

7/16/21 @ 8:53 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

I have a 1991 16 1/2’ Smokercraft deep-vee with a 40 hp Mariner. I have two six gallon tanks I carry and can burn through most of that fuel if I spend the day on Winnebago reef hopping and/or trolling. Mariner motors from that era were known to be gas hogs. I at one time also had a 1982 15 hp Mariner on a 14’ Jon boat that also was a gas guzzler. Currently have a 2020 Mercury four stroke on a similar size Jon boat and it seams to run forever on a five gallon full tank. 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 14 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.