MORE
Boats & Motors

Fixer Upper for newbies

9/12/20 @ 7:22 AM
INITIAL POST
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I am not at all mechanically inclined.  I know how to add stabilizer to my fuel and that's about as much "handywork" as I can handle.  I'm embarrassed to say how many fairly simple tasks around the house I've either hired out or asked my neighbor or brother.

I've always always wanted to tinker with a small motor but want a reasonably achievable project.  Are older boat motors similar to cars, as in the older ones were simpler and easier to work on?  The goal is to get a dirt-cheap (like, less than $100) small outboard, fix it up (and learn while doing it), and throw it on a jon boat for small waters.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a ton of free time to learn a new hobby, but I certainly have the interest.

To give you an idea of my abilities... my dad once gave me a chain saw that didn't work.  He said if I could fix it, I could keep it.  I took it apart, cleaned a few things, and MOSTLY put it back together (I think I lost one part in the process and couldn't remember where another part went).  I got the chainsaw running and I still have it, so maybe getting rid of those parts made it more efficient? LOL

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
9/17/20 @ 1:13 PM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

If you would like an old engine just to work on I have a 1970's power auger you can have.Last ran 2017.I live in you're area.

9/17/20 @ 11:46 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Bruno,

Your addition to Master Piker's post has talked me off the ledge!  LOL.  No rain on this parade.  I posted here to get feedback and I'm glad I did.

Maybe I'll focus my energy on just learning how to take care of the motor I have!

9/17/20 @ 10:02 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I have found you-tube very useful for fixing things I never would have tried before. I find there are videos out there for almost anything. Me and my son in law actually replaced a car engine using videos off of you tube. Took 3 weekends but we did it.

9/16/20 @ 8:55 PM
Bruno1
User since 3/21/14

I think Master Piker has hit on an important point.  There are some issues that would not be readily apparent unless you know what to look for.  I was in the boat store near my house a few years ago and was thinking of buying a used kicker motor.  The mechanics told me to be careful with used motors.  They pointed out hairline cracks in the motor probably due to was freezing water in the motor that I could barely see even when they pointed them out to me.  They also pointed out some broken pieces on the drive shaft that I would not have seen.  Like Master Piker said, not trying to rain on your parade but be prepared to spend some time and money and to become frustrated.  Of course, if you enjoy it and spend some time at it, you might find a fun hobby.  There is probably some market for old motors that have been restored.  There certainly is for old motorcycles.  Maybe you could start a little cottage industry.  Just go in with your eyes wide open.

Best of luck.

Bruno

9/15/20 @ 10:55 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

That is 6hp two cylinder smooth engine.

9/15/20 @ 7:59 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

CrawlerHarness, thanks for that! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.  Hopefully it's still available in a week when I finally have some free time.

9/14/20 @ 8:38 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Should be an early 1970's model....as it looks like the picture from this website.  But maybe it is only a 6hp and not a 9.5hp.  

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm

9/14/20 @ 8:36 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

There is an old Evinrude (guessing) on Facebook Marketplace for $60 in Momence, IL.  

Not going to find a better deal.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1237108653313125

9/14/20 @ 4:56 PM
Bruno1
User since 3/21/14

My interests run in a slightly different path.  I have been thinking about building a wooden rowing boat for fishing and exercise.  Something like a Whitehall rowing boat.  It is something that I could work on for a hour here or two hours there and more once I retire in a few years.  Buy a small motor and hang it on the back.  Same satisfaction without the frustration of trying to locate 40 year old parts.  My two cents.

Bruno

9/14/20 @ 10:41 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Thanks for the input on all aspects.  I'm sure taking an old motor and getting it going would be more headache than it's worth, but occasionally I like to try new things just to see if I can do them.

I'm in Waukesha County.

9/14/20 @ 9:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

waterbugg already suggested it but shop manuals are the ticket. Most libraries will still have them. YouTube videos are also very helpful. I turned to these sources out of necessity when motors broke down on me during peak boating season and all of the local shops had 4-6 week backlogs for repairs. I've rebuilt carbs, replaced starters, ignition systems and water pumps all from shop manuals and videos on outboards ranging from 6-115 hp. 

9/13/20 @ 10:12 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Where do you live 262?  

I agree that it is totally rewarding working on boat motors, as well as boat electronics.  The old 2-stroke motors are built like tanks, as long as they have compression, you should be able to get them running.  

9/13/20 @ 8:53 AM
waterbugg
User since 6/13/09

Check your local library for outboard motor repair books by Ken Cook on "how to" outboard motor projects. You may need special tools such as a flywheel puller, but the books are very informative. 

9/13/20 @ 1:25 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Spend $300-500 and get an outboard that RUNS, and use the little free time you have to FISH and enjoy it, not working on something not running that is 30-40 years old (that is what you'll get for under $100). My advice anyway...if you are not mechanically inclined or have the know-how, you will waste the time and money you put into a project like that. Plus, parts on an outboard that old will be difficult to find, expensive and if you mess one up, you will only be more frustrated. If you had an old outboard that someone gave you or one laying around that would be one thing. To actively seek out a dinosaur and try to bring it back to life with no idea what you're doing would be frustrating in my opinion. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would just spend the money on something you can use and maybe read up and maintain it well. Learn how to change gear lube, water impeller, rebuild carbs, etc. and KEEP it running. That, to me, is just as satisfying as getting one running. It will also be easier on your wallet and your mental state! Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE