I am not at all mechanically inclined.  I know how to add stabilizer to my fuel and that's about as much "handywork" as I can handle.  I'm embarrassed to say how many fairly simple tasks around the house I've either hired out or asked my neighbor or brother.

I've always always wanted to tinker with a small motor but want a reasonably achievable project.  Are older boat motors similar to cars, as in the older ones were simpler and easier to work on?  The goal is to get a dirt-cheap (like, less than $100) small outboard, fix it up (and learn while doing it), and throw it on a jon boat for small waters.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a ton of free time to learn a new hobby, but I certainly have the interest.

To give you an idea of my abilities... my dad once gave me a chain saw that didn't work.  He said if I could fix it, I could keep it.  I took it apart, cleaned a few things, and MOSTLY put it back together (I think I lost one part in the process and couldn't remember where another part went).  I got the chainsaw running and I still have it, so maybe getting rid of those parts made it more efficient? LOL