MORE
Boats & Motors

Fire Extinguishers,

6/7/21 @ 6:51 PM
INITIAL POST
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Just though to post this after seeing the one boat go up in flames on Pewaukee lake this weekend. So Fire  Extinguishers , wheres yours ? Is it full and still have enough pressure on the gauge ? Is it accessible where you can grab it quickly , or is in buried in a compartment where you have to look for it ? How's your batteries,  fuel systems , is your motor cooling enough when you are out on the water ? And last thing , what's the plan in God forbid your rig does have a fire ? Just wanted to throw this out there after seeing one pleasure boat get destroyed by fire while out on the water , and at least everyone on board was accounted for and will sail another day.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
10/2/21 @ 10:47 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

If it’s 6 yrs old or older, it needs service or if not servicable, throw away. It’s the age of the powder that requires 6 yr service.

10/1/21 @ 7:26 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Boat is mounted under the drivers seat,  Camper mounted at the door.   Had a fire in LP fridge of camper this summer, could of bad news, was able to hit it hard and fast to prevent any damage other than clean up.

Stuff happens fast does not hurt to pop that extinguisher out once a year to give it a shake and make sure it's still charged.

good luck

9/28/21 @ 7:15 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

mounted mine under the console

9/28/21 @ 2:37 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Looking to mount mine somewhere easily accessible. I'd rather have it handy and save the rod lockers for other storage. One option is upright in front of the throttle control, but is there a concern with it being exposed to the elements? Would sticking a zip loc bag over it to shield it be sufficient? 

6/13/21 @ 3:46 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

FinBender,

I meant they put out the same flammable materials...I'm guessing the difference has something to do with being rated for Class A combustibles as well (mine is a Class A,B,C). My point was that if the USCG requires a Class B,C extinguisher, why does it have to be painted white with a stamped serial number and be USCG approved? A Class A,B,C extinguisher is rated to put out everything that a USCG Class B,C extinguisher is, and then some...so why can't I use that? Makes no sense to me...But, like I said, keep a fancy white one in your boat to be 'legal' and a spare red Class A,B,C one to use as a backup or to assist others if needed. Problem solved.

6/11/21 @ 8:26 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Piker - They are different. Marine fire extinguishers contain sodium bicarbonate. Household ones contain Monoammonium Phosphate. Why? No clue. I do know that sodium bicarbonate is easier to clean up though. 

6/10/21 @ 5:00 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Finbender,

Not really...at least not cheap. Once you reach a vessel length of 26', the USCG just requires you to have two on board, so there isn't really a need for a huge marine extinguisher. My recommendation is to keep your marine extinguisher handy and toss a standard red extinguisher in a storage compartment or rod locker. There's nothing that says ALL extinguishers on board must be USCG approved...just that you must have at least one until you reach 26' in vessel length. They all have basically the same contents inside, so it is really kind of foolish you have to have a 'marine' extinguisher to begin with...it's literally the same extinguisher but painted white with a serial number on it...oh, and they require them to be sold with a cheap, plastic mounting bracket and strap...

6/10/21 @ 11:40 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

This talk about a bigger fire extinguisher had me take a look for a 5lb marine USCG approved one. Looked on some major retailers web sites for such a thing and found nothing.  Is a big USCG marine approved fire extinguisher even a thing?

6/10/21 @ 3:30 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

From the WDNR Boating Regulations:

Fire Extinguishers, photo by Master_Piker
6/10/21 @ 12:58 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I would have to double check, but I think you have to have one on smaller boats as well if there is an enclosed space that can trap/hold fuel fumes/vapors (ie battery compartment, storage compartment, casticg deck, etc)...

6/9/21 @ 9:48 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Gobbler,  if you have an outboard on your boat regardless of length of that boat you should have a ABC type extinguisher on board , I believe the regs are anything over 16 feet but even on my old 15 foot bass boat I had one , it's just one of those things you should have incase you need it but hope you never have to use it . 

6/9/21 @ 8:21 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Confused,so does it have to be a marine rated for a boat ? Or just for great lakes,bago system ?

6/9/21 @ 7:06 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Kidde has had more recalls than Arnold Swarznegger.

6/9/21 @ 6:14 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

I can see shaking it but seriously, gauge or not that thing is worthless unless you go the extra mile for a bigger one....meets requirements.....pffft done....not sure how you check yours....pffft done...get a new one or get refilled.....and keep a container that you can  pee in and  toss water

6/9/21 @ 1:51 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

You should shake your extinguisher at least once a year so the powder doesn't cake up in the bottom.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE