SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Finding Boat Leaks

10/3/22 @ 1:02 PM
INITIAL POST
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

I think this issue has been addressed before but I can't find the thread, so I am starting a new one. 

I had my boat in the water for 3 days last week.  After it was on the trailer, I pulled the drain plug and a whole lot of water came out.  Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks guys.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
10/4/22 @ 12:42 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Years back on 17ft alum deep v I owned. Had water coming in.  Put plugs on all the hose outlets and put back in the water. No leaks. 

Had a loose fitting on front livewell at the tank. 

Rivets were fine. 

10/4/22 @ 12:15 PM
wallstreet
User since 9/10/15

Before you flood your boat, check to make sure the plug itself isn't bad or wasn't sealed up properly. Unless you did that already. Then flood away. 

10/4/22 @ 9:29 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Plug the livewell drain(s) on the outside of the boat and fill the livewell(s) with water. If you have a remote drain valve make sure it's in the open position, if not make sure the in-livewell plug is removed. If you have two livewells with independent drains be sure to fill and test each one independently to help isolate any possible leak.  

10/4/22 @ 7:53 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

It is an Alumacraft Escape.  All the plumbing is under the floorboards.

I thought there were other posts, but I am not the only one who can't find them.

10/3/22 @ 9:44 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

Mine came from the drain plug base

10/3/22 @ 6:35 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

It was never stated if boat is fiberglass or aluminum? Or wood? 

10/3/22 @ 3:25 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

What kind of boat is it? I'd eliminate leaking livewell hoses, valves, and pumps before moving onto finding a bad rivet.

10/3/22 @ 2:41 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Also try adding food coloring to the water... My hull is white I used red but still took me a long to find two holes...I also put in afloat switch on my bridge pump..

10/3/22 @ 1:19 PM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

A seam or rivet is the mostly likely culprit.  I also had a boat leak from around the screws for the transducer, also had a livewell pump that went bad and leaked like crazy.  

10/3/22 @ 1:11 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Yes it appears All of the leaky boat threads and how to fix rivets have disappeared

I would suggest that you park your trailer on a nice level spot and fill the hull with some water and look for some leaks coming from the rivets or seems

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE