MEMBER since 11/5/17

I received this yesterday 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 31 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/5/20 @ 9:02 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Fin I have a guy that works on his own and has all the stuff he needs to fix any thing on a etec.He can work on any brand and he even does house calls LOL.

8/5/20 @ 8:19 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Tuffy2, I did plenty of research prior to buying a motor for my Jon boat. I know that Mercury motors 30 hp and less are manufactured by Tohatsu in Japan. I also found that the 40,50 and 60hp Mercury motors are manufactured by Mercury in China. 75 hp and above are manufactured by Mercury in Fond-Du-Lac. When doing my research I found the Tohatsu manufactured motors rated the best of all the Mercury products. Tohatsu also manufactures motors for a couple of other companies. I really was leaning towards the 25 E-Tec even with the price difference, however the Mercury was available cash and carry where the E-Tec was a two week or more wait to order. It was the spring walleye run on the Wolf and I needed a motor now. Now that Evinrude has ceased production I am even happier with my choice. 

8/5/20 @ 6:24 AM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Eyesman,,,, You have a 25hp Tohatsu.

8/5/20 @ 6:19 AM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I guess I’ll just have to find a solution to the problem, if I have a problem. My boat doesn’t have a HP rating high enough for anything made in the USA. Maybe you would sell me one of your Evinrude’s should I need a motor.LOL

Meanwhile I’m 77 years old, so I would hope it will outlast me.

8/4/20 @ 8:21 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Tuffy, 30 year old engines don't have computers or require proprietary software and specialized dealer only trained diagnostic equipment. These will not ever be aftermarket items. It's not like you can slap in a Chinese made carb kit and file points and be good anymore.

PS -I own two Evinrudes

8/3/20 @ 4:35 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Got my letter today too. Not worried about parts or service. Next time your on a lake just take a look at all of the 30 plus year old Evinrude and Johnson motors. BPR has committed to 12 years of parts, plus someone will develope after market parts. There will be some places that will still repair them. As far as resale value, I will just gift mine to my son.

Three years and I have a whopping 25 hours on it. My brother has 110 hours in 6 years. Neither of us have had a problem with them.

The only people who are slamming them, are people who don’t own them. I do wish they would have kept making them, but they didn’t and that was not because they were bad motors.

8/2/20 @ 7:59 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

For what it is worth, in 2010 I re-powered with 150 hp etec, and it came with a five year warranty. I never used the warranty, and it still has not seen the shop... and I put on 150 hours per year.

Just a great motor

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/2/20 @ 9:45 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

This spring I repowered my Jon boat with a 25 hp motor. I nearly went with the Evinrude E-Tec but the Mercury came in quite a bit better price wise so I went that route. Now I am glad I did. For now the servicing dealers are plentiful, give it a few years as those dealers take on other brands of motors and have attrition of their service techs it will become more difficult to find service much less quality service. The resale value has taken a hit already, once the service end becomes more difficult that resale will plummet even more. 

8/1/20 @ 10:12 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Got my letter today.  Not worried about the warranty...just re-sale value which is now vastly reduced.

8/1/20 @ 8:37 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I didn’t get my letter yet, but I’m sure I will. I haven’t had a problem in three years and my brother has not had a problem in six years.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 31 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.