Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I received this yesterday 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 31 posts
8/6/20 @ 3:01 PM
arthur1957
arthur1957
User since 6/24/01

If I were buying a new boat today and $$$ were not an issue, I would be in the market for an 18-19 foot aluminum fish 'n ski set up and would likely go with a 150HP Honda 4 stroke now that Evinrude is gone. I also see that Honda has been making 60, 75, 90, 115, 150, 200, 225 and 250 hp models for Tohatsu since 2014 or so. 

8/5/20 @ 5:43 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

If I were in the market for a new boat, I would scoop up the boat I wanted with an etec on it in a minute...

Those motors are bulletproof!

8/5/20 @ 3:27 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

30 and under Evenrudes are made By Tohatsu,so are Merc’s.Evenrude dealer told me he can get parts for 20 years. No problem for servicing them in the foreseeable future. Some body will buy up the name,too good of a product and name to die.Cannuks are just fishing until they can get the most cash for the deal!

8/5/20 @ 2:36 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

The very first large Mercury four strokes were black Yamahas I believe. In 2003 they started by painting the popular Yamaha f225 black.

That being said the boat boards are already filling up with larger glass boats with Etecs on them. It appears they are a tough sell as are the ones with the older two stroke Pro XS Mercury.

8/5/20 @ 11:09 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I thought I read somewhere that Mercury in fond du lac only makes the v6 and the V8 there and the rest are parted out from China and Japan

back in the day when Mercury got into four strokes they used to get their power heads from Johnson

8/5/20 @ 9:02 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Fin I have a guy that works on his own and has all the stuff he needs to fix any thing on a etec.He can work on any brand and he even does house calls LOL.

8/5/20 @ 8:19 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Tuffy2, I did plenty of research prior to buying a motor for my Jon boat. I know that Mercury motors 30 hp and less are manufactured by Tohatsu in Japan. I also found that the 40,50 and 60hp Mercury motors are manufactured by Mercury in China. 75 hp and above are manufactured by Mercury in Fond-Du-Lac. When doing my research I found the Tohatsu manufactured motors rated the best of all the Mercury products. Tohatsu also manufactures motors for a couple of other companies. I really was leaning towards the 25 E-Tec even with the price difference, however the Mercury was available cash and carry where the E-Tec was a two week or more wait to order. It was the spring walleye run on the Wolf and I needed a motor now. Now that Evinrude has ceased production I am even happier with my choice. 

8/5/20 @ 6:24 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Eyesman,,,, You have a 25hp Tohatsu.

8/5/20 @ 6:19 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I guess I’ll just have to find a solution to the problem, if I have a problem. My boat doesn’t have a HP rating high enough for anything made in the USA. Maybe you would sell me one of your Evinrude’s should I need a motor.LOL

Meanwhile I’m 77 years old, so I would hope it will outlast me.

8/4/20 @ 8:21 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Tuffy, 30 year old engines don't have computers or require proprietary software and specialized dealer only trained diagnostic equipment. These will not ever be aftermarket items. It's not like you can slap in a Chinese made carb kit and file points and be good anymore.

PS -I own two Evinrudes

8/3/20 @ 4:35 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Got my letter today too. Not worried about parts or service. Next time your on a lake just take a look at all of the 30 plus year old Evinrude and Johnson motors. BPR has committed to 12 years of parts, plus someone will develope after market parts. There will be some places that will still repair them. As far as resale value, I will just gift mine to my son.

Three years and I have a whopping 25 hours on it. My brother has 110 hours in 6 years. Neither of us have had a problem with them.

The only people who are slamming them, are people who don’t own them. I do wish they would have kept making them, but they didn’t and that was not because they were bad motors.

8/2/20 @ 7:59 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

For what it is worth, in 2010 I re-powered with 150 hp etec, and it came with a five year warranty. I never used the warranty, and it still has not seen the shop... and I put on 150 hours per year.

Just a great motor

8/2/20 @ 9:45 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

This spring I repowered my Jon boat with a 25 hp motor. I nearly went with the Evinrude E-Tec but the Mercury came in quite a bit better price wise so I went that route. Now I am glad I did. For now the servicing dealers are plentiful, give it a few years as those dealers take on other brands of motors and have attrition of their service techs it will become more difficult to find service much less quality service. The resale value has taken a hit already, once the service end becomes more difficult that resale will plummet even more. 

8/1/20 @ 8:37 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I didn’t get my letter yet, but I’m sure I will. I haven’t had a problem in three years and my brother has not had a problem in six years.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 31 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE