SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

evinrude or johnson used?

4/3/21 @ 10:50 PM
INITIAL POST
fishballs
User since 4/8/04

i have a 92 120 hp johnson and im looking to upgrade to a evinrude or johnson 115hp and was wondering if theyre both identical? im thinking about a 2009 to 2012 etech and dont want to spend more than $5k

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
4/15/21 @ 7:46 AM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01

I'd avoid those brands personally, just for convenience of service.

Being out of production there is only one way service for those brands can go, at least intuitively.

4/10/21 @ 1:15 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

The last Johnson 115hp 2-strokes were a carbed 105 cubic inch motor discontinued circa-2006 IIRC? They had a 4 stroke (as mentioned) that were re-badged Suzukis that were great outboards, but again were discontinued in 2006. If it is a 2009 or newer 115 from BRP you are looking for, your only option would be a 115 E-tec or 115 E-tec H.O. which is a standard 115 E-tec with a little more 'Oomph'. 

I have a 2003 Johnson 90HP on my boat, which is a de-tuned 115 with the same 60-degree 105 cubic inch block. These 'loopers' were good, strong motors that ran smoother and had better fuel economy than their older 'crossflow' predecessors from the mid-1990's and older. I know a couple people that have 115 E-tecs and have been very happy with them with very few/minor problems. One quirk with the E-tecs that is good to know is the spark plugs have to be oriented a certain way when installed or the motor will NOT run properly. A friend of mine found this out the hard way on a fairly remote lake in Canada a couple years ago. Had to idle around for most of his trip only to take his boat to the marina when he got home and have them tell him he didn't install the plugs properly...he wasn't happy. E-tecs get a lot of hate, but from my experience they have been good motors based on my experience. As with anything, operation and maintenance are key components to outboard function and longevity. Good luck in your search, whichever direction you decide to go. I am an OMC / BRP fan as I am 0 for 2 with problematic Mercury's in my life. I have had a 50 HP, two 70 HP and now a 90 HP OMC / BRP that have been very strong, reliable motors. If I were to have to pick a new brand with BRP discontinuing production of the E-tec line, I would probably lean toward Yamaha or Suzuki for a 4-stroke. Yamaha also built some sturdy, lightweight two strokes as well.

4/4/21 @ 3:04 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

You have to look at if either is two stroke or four stroke. I believe the later Johnsons that are 4 stroke were rebranded Suzukis and the Evinrude Etecs were always 2 stroke . I have heard of and seen a few 4 stroke Evinrudes before the Etecs came out and cant confirm if those were made by Suzuki as well.  Again parts may be an issue at some point with Evinrude ending production. 

4/4/21 @ 10:19 AM
Fishn Jimmy
Fishn Jimmy
User since 7/21/01

check all the Craigslist boat parts listings  I have seen several Etecs like that of late..

Jimmy

4/4/21 @ 9:41 AM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

Unless its an extremely good deal and you are a good wrench I would look elsewhere

4/4/21 @ 7:47 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Just beware parts become an issue after 10 years. Stay with product that is still is business!!!

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE