SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Evinrude is no longer

5/27/20 @ 8:13 PM
INITIAL POST
slonezp
User since 2/10/07

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/27/2039793/0/en/BRP-Advances-Marine-Strategy-by-Focusing-on-Boats-and-New-Technologies.html

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts
5/31/20 @ 2:13 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

Carpio, I suppose. I don’t fall under that category so wasn’t looking at it from that angle. I definitely see how that number would be justified in the grand scheme. 

5/31/20 @ 1:57 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Fishing folks have no qualms dishing out 60 K for a rig.  What’s 2 K more to them? CARPIO 

5/31/20 @ 1:50 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

BassAddict, I wonder if they can do that at a competitive price point. While there are so many pros to the current line of light weight batteries they still bring a heavy price tag. I could see a larger ion battery adding thousands to the price tag to the package. 

5/30/20 @ 7:52 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Ion marine batteries are half the weight

5/30/20 @ 7:17 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

As far as resale value of outboards in general I doubt they will lose much for the foreseeable future. Evinrude E-Tec equipped boats both used and for trade in will likely take a good hit value wise. If the Ghost Motor by BRP is indeed an electric gas hybrid I can’t see where current technology battery wise is workable for a boat. Too big (space needed) too heavy ( you have to float it). It is going to take some technology breakthroughs and engineering genius to make that cost effective, functional and trouble free. 

5/30/20 @ 6:11 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I just wonder that with all of the technology/ inovations that are in all of these,  ( and there are a lot of them out there!) outboards that they will still retain much of their resale value. CARPIO 

5/30/20 @ 6:06 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

The ghost motor is going to be an electric gas hybrid

with autopilot and cruise control and ability to direct connect to your sonar unit and GPS maps

5/30/20 @ 5:45 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

One of the news articles I read about Evinrude ceasing production of their outboard line stated that the agreement with Mercury was just to provide outboards for their boat lines. It also stated that the E-Tec technology and patents were not for sale. That article did have several quotes and statements from the BRP CEO and president stating such. I wonder if their new Ghost Motor program and other technology they plan to develop will still use the E-Tec technology just not in outboard form. 

5/30/20 @ 5:17 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I am a bit surprised that they didn’t sell the evinrude line and technology to someone else - they really were a good product. 

I’m sure that was part of the negotiations with Mercury. I still think that BRP will sell Alumacraft too. Yamaha would be my first guess as to who would be interested. That would put them in a great position to compete with Johnny Morris. Yamaha already owns Skeeter and G3. Alumacraft can compete with the Ranger Aluminum line. To me, if Yamaha has the money it would be great investment. They could certainly take market share from Lund and Tracker.

5/30/20 @ 4:36 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

11 years and1,600 hours on my 150 Etec - I’ve been very happy with it.

I’ve long felt that Etecs were the only motor I’d buy again. 

Guess that option is off of the table...

I have a 50 Yami on my pontoon, and a 15 Yami on my small fishing boat, and they’ve been equally as solid, but I liked the Etec better because it was a two stroke, weighed less, and had a lot of get up and go.

looks like my next outboard will be a Yami!

I am a bit surprised that they didn’t sell the evinrude line and technology to someone else - they really were a good product. 

5/30/20 @ 10:34 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

The other company had Yamaha build their four strokes for years, stole their technology, built a plant in China after getting tax hand outs from Wisconsin tax payers, then made a ton of money on low Chinese labor.

Then they got a pass on tariffs from the government. I will never run a Mercury on my boat, no matter what happens.

5/30/20 @ 8:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif

too late to the game, the other mfg really did a fine job of promoting 4strokes.... and folks re-powered or bought new rigs with 4strokes...

I think the E-tec was a superior product... my opinion, just couldn't beat the promotion done by the industry for 4strokes

said this on another Evinrude thread, that ghost boat might be powered like a Sea Doo... that would fit in with BRP's innovational thinking ... could rock the small tin boat world!

5/30/20 @ 7:32 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

We lost a great option,I have a 2006 75hp last checkup 1100 hours on it one injecter that's it.

5/30/20 @ 6:58 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03

It's sad that this excellent motor won't be produced anymore. I've had mine 6 years,my brother has one. My son has my 1993 Evinrude.  I also had a 1952 Evinrude.

All of them ran great.

5/30/20 @ 5:49 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Have you ever owned one, ridden in a boat with a ETec on it? What are you basing you bad product information on?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE