LOGIN
Lake-Link

Evinrude 40HP 1990 E40TLESR

7/24/19 @ 11:38 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Thevdim
User since 6/9/15

Hello everyone!

New boat owner here! I recently purchased an older boat with this motor. Owner wasn't sure of information on motor and i cannot find any manual of it online. Can anyone help with with this? I'm looking to change the lower unit oil and unsure of what type oil to buy.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 51 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/15/19 @ 6:51 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I love being out on the water, and tend to wrench on my own stuff.  I've had similar problems as you over the years, but if you buy an older outboard, you're going to see some wrench time.  

It's all worth it in end - nothing better than being out on the water!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/14/19 @ 8:14 PM
Thevdim
User since 6/9/15

Okay. it's probably the muff that didn't fit properly like you said. Thanks for the input. It scared the heck out of me though..

8/14/19 @ 6:01 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Your muffs  likely do not completely fit over the intake, or have a loose fit. The water pump does not require any water pressure at the inlet to perform-there isn’t any water pressure when your motor is sitting in the lake, just a solid column of water to pump from...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/14/19 @ 12:27 PM
Thevdim
User since 6/9/15

I was able to put the boat in the water this morning and what a huge difference it made! The stream came on right away and the engine was working with no issues (except engine shutting off 2x when it was idling). With muffs when I was using it last night...my only guess to why there wasn't a 'pee' stream was probably because of not having enough water pressure from the hose to provide water for the whole engine. Otherwise, looks like I'll be taking it out this weekend! Yes!

Thankfully it wasn't the water housing/impeller needing a replacement.

8/12/19 @ 6:02 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Also, I’d put your boat in the water to see if you have water flow, maybe your muffs aren’t fitting all that great. 

There is absolutely no reason that cleaning the carb would have anything to do with your impeller, that was pumping fine the last time you took it out.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/12/19 @ 6:00 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Glad soaking your carb helped the starting issue.

Also, you’re starting your engine cold, it wouldn’t overheat that quickly, even if the water pump was faulty.  ‘

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/12/19 @ 5:02 PM
Joey Chumstain
Joey Chumstain
User since 7/26/19

https://www.boats.net/product/evinrude/0433379

Here is the thermostat you need.

8/12/19 @ 4:51 PM
Joey Chumstain
Joey Chumstain
User since 7/26/19

That water should be shooting out of the outboard with a very strong stream with the earmuffs on. Didn’t you already install a new impeller? 

Here is a video of our outboard water pump service. Watch it and follow procedures exactly.

https://youtu.be/ae6ii9309Es

8/12/19 @ 4:23 PM
Thevdim
User since 6/9/15

Hmm okay. does that mean to replace impeller or that the impeller/water housing isn't working properly?

What about the thermostat? How can I tell if the thermostat isn't working?

8/12/19 @ 3:24 PM
Joey Chumstain
Joey Chumstain
User since 7/26/19

That sounds like the overheat alarm. I never had an overheat problem with my Evinrude. Strange that pulling your carbs and reinstalling them would trigger this issue. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 51 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.