SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Evinrude 15hp starting problem

8/11/19 @ 4:15 PM
INITIAL POST
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I have a 1974 15hp Evinrude that has developed a starting issue.  For the first startup of the day, it takes upwards of 20 mins of pulling to get it going.  Generally I finally get it started with no choke, just pulling constantly until I get it to sputter and finally to turn over.  After I get it going once, it’s back to its normal self and starts on the first pull every time for the rest of the day.  No issues with power or anything, runs very smooth at high or low rpms.  I thought it was a fuel line issue, and replaced my primer bulb to no effect.  Wondering if it’s a choke issue, seems like fuel delivery is the problem until the motor starts sucking on its own.  Any ideas?  Hesitant to rip open a carb or fuel pump if I don’t have to.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
9/2/19 @ 9:15 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

So I got to the cabin and finally had a chance to work on it.  I was a bit disappointed to see that the choke switch was installed correctly, meaning that wasn’t going to be my easy fix.  I ended up taking the air box off to verify that the choke was operating properly in the carb, and everything looked good.  When I put the air box back on, I noticed it had instructions to press the air box tight to the carb before torquing the screws down, so I did that.  Also pulled the fuel pump off to check the screen and that all looked good. Put it back together and got it started in a water tank on the tenth pull.  Took it to the lake the next day and it started on second pull, and ran great all day.  Not sure what the actual fix was but it’s back to its old self for now!  We’ll see how it goes when I’m back up in a few weeks.

8/18/19 @ 10:28 AM
dhansen
User since 6/9/11

If interested you can get these parts from marine engine .com impellar ,condensors,points , gasket for carb with shipping about 70.00 

I would put them in for 100.00 Dan 920 647 0027 Coloma,wi

8/18/19 @ 9:57 AM
dhansen
User since 6/9/11

Hey how long has it been since you put a set of points in it ? its 40 yrs old ,and when have yo cleaned the carb ?

Get it tuned up ,put seafoam in gas every fill and it should go like new ,iy wouldn't hurt to put a new water pump in it also 

8/17/19 @ 10:40 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Always run the gas out of it every time you run the motor , or at least use sea foam  in the tank and that will keep the fuel system clean. Those older evinrude two strokes do not like ethanol based fuels and will cause starting and running issues every time 

8/17/19 @ 10:20 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

My smaller Evinrude (6 hp ) has to have it run dry at the end of the day  , or its a beast to start next time . Plus it always fires on first pull , then dies . Then choke halfway and it's good . Mid 1970s .

8/16/19 @ 4:57 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

The motor is at the cabin in Mercer, I’ll update after I fix it over labor day

8/15/19 @ 6:51 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Any update Edward - I'm interested!

8/12/19 @ 5:52 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I bet that is it Edward!  Also, the choke knob fits into a stainless retaining clip - it shouldn’t fall out. 

It’s super easy to put it in upside down, you have to pay really close attention to it. 

8/12/19 @ 9:17 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

I have the same motor, and the EXACT same problem.  If you find an issue or solution please update us. I have subscribed to this thread.

8/11/19 @ 10:47 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Similar issue with a 15 hp evinrude. Found a shot of starting fluid in the air intake after a couple pulls will get it to fire.  No issues after that.

8/11/19 @ 9:00 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

Very interesting, early this season, before the issue came up, the choke knob somehow rattled out of its proper place and I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back, maybe I put it upside down!

Thanks

8/11/19 @ 7:34 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Should also mention that you should try starting it with maximum throttle...

8/11/19 @ 7:33 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

A couple of things...

I have a 15 HP Johnson on my duck skiff and had similar issues. 

I found something really interesting when I took the choke assembly apart.  Whoever owned it before me installed the choke knob upside down.  Basically, all I had to do was rotate the choke knob 180 degrees.  The choke knob has a slot in the middle of it, and it is position sensitive.  

Take the air box off so that you can see the throat of the carb, and then engage the choke, if you don't see the throttle assy. move you've found your problem. 

Believe it or not, I think this is likely the case with a motor that old - the carb has likely been apart a dozen times. 

The reason that I think the choke is likely the issue, is that once you get it going, it starts fine for the rest of the day.  If you had fouled plugs or a fuel delivery issue, the starting issue would be consistent whether the motor was warm or cold. 

Given that it is a cold starting issue, the problem is likely with your choke. 

8/11/19 @ 5:30 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

The no choke thing was a desperation tactic after 20 minutes of trying to get it started using the choke.

8/11/19 @ 4:25 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Generally I finally get it started with no choke, why are you not using your choke on cold starts? I would start with taking the spark plugs out and seeing what they look after you pulled on it for about 20 poles are they wet?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE