3/24/20 @ 9:33 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
After 14 years of having a Yamaha 115 horse 4-stroke

I am switching to a 90 horse E-Tec

It comes with a 7 year warranty

Yes it has a recommended three-year service

here's a little warning for you people that change the plugs on your E-Tec the plugs have to be indexed into the right direction of the fuel injector

Any warnings or advice on E-Tec

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 55 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/17/20 @ 8:33 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I have an E-Tec with 1500 hours on it. 

I have to use gas with ethanol, as you can’t buy ethanol free fuel in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Kenosha, or Racine counties.

I don’t use premium, but do add a splash or two of seafoam to every tank - and have not had any fuel related issues.

It’s been an awesome motor, very happy with the purchase.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/17/20 @ 7:32 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
My only warning is don't use e85

5/17/20 @ 7:31 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I have Yamaha 70hp and tried to put non ethanol gas in, but it became hard to find...

Yamaha said ethanol was ok to use, as they designed this motor to use ethanol... so I  did, but continued my practice of treating every gallon of gas I put into the gas tank... this is a 2012 Yamaha f70, and zero problems... so happy about that.. this motor has been faithful!!

...but , if I  was repowering, or rigging a new boat,  I'd go e-Tec 100%

5/17/20 @ 4:53 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

2 nd season with my 60 e-tec  20 hrs. On it and only use 87 octane regular gas, no problems but I use the additives.   CARPIO 

5/17/20 @ 4:10 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

On my 2nd season with a 60HO, I use only premium, since premium is the only fuel I can buy without ethanol.  No starting issues yet, only about 80 hours on the motor.

I was told once by a guy who sold me a new lawn tractor that ethanol won't hurt the engine...5 years later my carburetor blew up (I know, the carb is not the engine...).

Won't put ethanol in my boat unless I have no other choice.

5/17/20 @ 11:10 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
 What grade of fuel should I use in my motor?

Current recommendations are to use a minimum of 87 octane, 89 octane is preferred. There is no additional benefit from using higher-octane fuels, in fact they may cause hard starting conditions in hot weather. If you have an older motor and the owner's manual requires premium fuel, here's why: When these were built, the best oil available was TCW-2 rated, and did not contain the additive package (detergents, carbon preservatives, etc.) which our current oils (XD-30, XD-50 and XD-100) contain today. In that era, premium fuel contained the additive package that helped prevent the formation of internal engine deposits. That's why premium fuels were preferred at the time. Ultimately, in the late 90's the federal government mandated fuel refiners to use the same additive package in all grades of fuel and the premium fuel requirement was dropped.

5/15/20 @ 1:46 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

this is a very cool/interesting review of the E-TEC 150 G2.. pretty amazing stuff.. worth watching the entire video ...imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxQj9Wq2vEI

5/15/20 @ 10:42 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

No.  CARPIO 

5/15/20 @ 10:17 AM
mr.grumpy
mr.grumpy
User since 11/6/18

Does the e-tech require higher octane fuel above 87?

4/2/20 @ 5:58 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

BA,

Most dealers do buy it in bulk, at least the ones down by me. It’s a better deal!

Regarding price on 3-year service, I change  the lower unit oil myself, and have the dealer replace the water pump and plugs. Think the cost was around 400. I used East Troy Marine. 

The software update is interesting to me. I have a 150 hp 2010 Etec, and to my knowledge have not had any updates (unless the dealer did it and didn’t tell me)

Lastly, I have not had any fuel issues (or any issues outside of 3-year maintenance) but I do put a splash of sea foam in every tank. Before winterizing, I fill up the tank, and add a full can of sea foam - have not had an issue...

My Etec has around 1,500 hours and runs the same as it did when it was new - really couldn’t be happier with motor. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 55 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.