E-Tech

3/24/20 @ 9:33 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
After 14 years of having a Yamaha 115 horse 4-stroke

I am switching to a 90 horse E-Tec

It comes with a 7 year warranty

Yes it has a recommended three-year service

here's a little warning for you people that change the plugs on your E-Tec the plugs have to be indexed into the right direction of the fuel injector

Any warnings or advice on E-Tec

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 8:16 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
On my 4 stroke I had install a separate water filter separator do you think it's necessary for E-Tec

And I always used seafoam and every tank

Now I see they have seafoam Marine pro?

3/28/20 @ 5:17 PM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

O O E-tec problems again.

3/28/20 @ 4:22 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I have a 2010 150 Tec with around 1,500 hours on it.

I have really enjoyed the motor, great hole shot, same emissions as a 4-stroke, quiet, sips gas, winterizes itself, maintenance every 3-years, and weighs less than a 4-stroke. 

Really happy with the purchase!

I run ethanol gas for the most part given where I live - put a shot of sea foam in every tank and seems to have worked well. 

Other than a bad starter out of the box, it has given me no issues other than routine maintenance. 

I’m not in the market for a motor, but when I am, it’ll be another etec. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/28/20 @ 11:58 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Erikk150 

Yeah I know ethanol is bad just made me look up the gas requirements then I found the E-Tech wants you to use their evinrude Johnson 2+4 fuel conditioner it also helps remove water a condition the ethanol not cheap stuff

3/28/20 @ 11:44 AM
Erikk150
User since 6/13/19

Not Saying at all that the etec can't handle ethanol.  Just speaking about ethanol as a source of problems for any outboard.  It really is about the fuel system in the boat more than anything not the brand of outboard.  The issue is winter storage or sitting for a while without use.  Ethanol attracts water when it sits.  Water in fuel is not a good thing.  Most modern fuel systems have an engine mounted fuel filter as well as a filter between the tank and the engine which helps greatly.  If you look how many times a year you fill up your boat and the few dollars extra you would pay for the premium no ethanol fuel I just feel it is well worth avoiding fuel system problems and the headaches and Money they would cost.  If you can not get no ethanol fuel then just be diligent in using  fuel conditioner.  Just trying to help everyone no matter what outboard you choose avoid problems.  Ask any marine mechanic about ethanol horror stories and they will be able to tell you many!!   Cheers guys!

3/28/20 @ 11:12 AM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

Indexing the plugs is pretty simple first of all get the correct plug.Get some extras because some might not line up properly.Put a mark on the new plug inline with the open gap. Look at the old plug BEFOR YOU TAKE IT OUT, see where the mark is on the old plug .Get a Manual to find the correct torque spec. Then position the new plug in the same position as the old mark, this can be a few degrees left or right of the original.An E-Tec  Manual will show acceptable range! Of course if you are not comfortable doing this take it to a Dealer. 

3/27/20 @ 8:48 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

I'd be surprised if it couldnt handle ethanol. My motor is an 09 Merc Opti. When I bought my boat new in 09 the techs at the dealer said it was fine with 87 10% ethanol gas. They just said throw stabil marine in there. No issues for th 11 seasons I've had it and only run 87 in it. Would imagine etec would be designed to take 87 too given the prevalence of it at gas stations.

3/27/20 @ 6:43 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
 my spec sheet just says recommenced 87 octane ... Does not say minimum

Etec fuel requirements

Current recommendations are to use a minimum of 87 octane, 89 octane is preferred. There is no additional benefit from using higher-octane fuels, in fact they may cause hard starting conditions in hot weather

Oxygenated fuels should not hurt motors. Motors can tolerate up to 10% alcohol in fuels, which is the maximum allowed by law in the United States.

Evinrude E-Tec FAQ's

3/27/20 @ 11:09 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

If you really have no option, I would get the Stabil-Ethanol treatment to maybe help.  Think of the extra cost being what premium with no ethanol would cost.

3/27/20 @ 9:27 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
I am counting on that the new E-Tec can handle ethanol since there's no place around here that doesn't have it

I'm hoping the motor is so reliable I won't have to worry about repairing it even though the dealer is a platinum E-Tech maintenance certified

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.