3/24/20 @ 9:33 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
After 14 years of having a Yamaha 115 horse 4-stroke

I am switching to a 90 horse E-Tec

It comes with a 7 year warranty

Yes it has a recommended three-year service

here's a little warning for you people that change the plugs on your E-Tec the plugs have to be indexed into the right direction of the fuel injector

Any warnings or advice on E-Tec

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 46 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 5:58 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

BA,

Most dealers do buy it in bulk, at least the ones down by me. It’s a better deal!

Regarding price on 3-year service, I change  the lower unit oil myself, and have the dealer replace the water pump and plugs. Think the cost was around 400. I used East Troy Marine. 

The software update is interesting to me. I have a 150 hp 2010 Etec, and to my knowledge have not had any updates (unless the dealer did it and didn’t tell me)

Lastly, I have not had any fuel issues (or any issues outside of 3-year maintenance) but I do put a splash of sea foam in every tank. Before winterizing, I fill up the tank, and add a full can of sea foam - have not had an issue...

My Etec has around 1,500 hours and runs the same as it did when it was new - really couldn’t be happier with motor. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
TODAY @ 5:57 PM
candofish
User since 4/2/13

I had my 250 e tec 3 year service done a few years back and it cost me $451.00  This included 6 new sparkplugs, a complete water pump kit, fuel line and all oil lines checked. They checked the thermostats and all other parts of the engine.  I also received a print out of the engine hours, faults, and codes.

TODAY @ 4:00 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
If you have over 300 hours on your E-Tec motor they recommend you replace the water pump

even with replacing the water pump $800 sounds extremely high but I will ask my dealer about that tomorrow

TODAY @ 7:33 AM
fishngod
User since 3/14/07

I have a 90 HO on my boat. It is a 2017 and ready for it's first maintenance. Can anyone tell me approximately how much the 3 year service should cost? My Marine tech told me about $800. Seems a bit much for a routine maintenance.

TODAY @ 2:01 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

The key thing to have a happy E-tec is good clean fuel,and a competent dealer.I would have one on my boat,but the local dealer sucks and don't feel like going the distance if a problem arrives.And I think E-tec is the only outboard that has routine EMM software updates?BRP 2+4 IS good stuff,but a little pricey.

If you use the outboard frequently,e10 is usually not an issue.But if you have times where it sits for a while,that's where the fuel system has issues.If you know that it will sit for a few weeks or longer,then run the non-oxy fuel with 2+4 in it.They are probably the most complex outboard currently made,so maintenance goes a long way.

If it was up to me,ethanol should be removed from motor fuel and used for better things. 

3/31/20 @ 7:57 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
I talked to the dealer this morning and ask him if they do the refill of the E-Tec oil currently they just sell it by the gallon 

I told him the benefit of having at the refill price it would keep the customers coming into their shop and they agreed and said that is a good idea

3/29/20 @ 12:02 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Good to know will ask them if they have the refill option

I think that covered all my E-Tec questions

3/29/20 @ 11:50 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

For the first gallon yes...

Thereafter, take the empty container back to your dealer (or any dealer) and they will refill it for 38. They buy it in 50 gallon drums for a better price. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/29/20 @ 11:39 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

That’s what I paid last June at my dealer. CARPIO 

3/29/20 @ 11:26 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.